Voicemail email not sending, other notifications are working. from address is asterisk@fqdn

Hi All,

freePBX 15.0.16.77, installed in a XCP-ng VM

I have a strange problem that I hope someone can help with.

email notifications from my server are working just fine; fail2ban, updates etc but voicemail emails are not coming through.

checking /var/log/maillog confirms that the system is trying to send “from=[email protected]” and that the connection is refused by myDomain.mail.protection.outlook.com.

I’ve checked in “Settings > Voicemail Admin > Settings tab > Email config tab > Server Email” and this has the correct email address.

I’ve checked in /etc/asterisk/voicemail.conf and the correct address is also shown there.

A google search got me to this thread from 2018/2019 which seems to be the same issue but the provided solution, adding “smtp_generic_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/generic” to /etc/postfix/main.cf did not work. It gave errors in /var/log/maillog that /etc/postfix/generic.db was not found.

Does anyone know if this is a known issue or where to start looking for a solution

I posted the below in that thread as well, after you added the line you mentioned in the conf file

Try adding

@your.pbx.hostname [email protected]

To /etc/postfix/generic

And then run

postmap /etc/postfix/generic
service postfix restart

See details here

https://wiki.freepbx.org/display/PPS/Setup+Postfix+Manually

You know how sometimes you play with a system for hours trying to fix something…
Then you post to a forum saying it doesn’t work…
Then all of a sudden, it just starts working…

I don’t think I changed anything from default (I did, but I think I put it all back again) but all of a sudden, whilst I was not touching the server, all of the voicemails I have done this morning came through. The ones from the last couple of days are still MIA but I’m not worried about those.

Very strange, can’t explain but thanks @PitzKey for responding.

ed: for the record, it still says it’s sending from [email protected] but when the mail arrives it is from the correct address.

When postfix fails to send an email, for a non fatal error such as a timeout, it queues it up to retry.

It does not immediately retry the queue every time you make a change.

@sorvani, That totally makes sense but would the ones that were in the queue not have the wrong from address?

I still think something is wrong somewhere as the logs do still show that the email is being sent from the wrong address. Could someone else check what their maillog says in the from address when forwarding a voicemail message out.

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.