The Agent by Synology Active Backup for Business is not Installed!

I’m trying to get Synology Active Backup running on a PBXact 16 box but it fails to install the agent. I click on Install and it says Downloading… I am using clearlyip mirrors, I don’t know if the agent isn’t setup on their servers or if it’s unrelated. The system is up to date 16.0.26

This sounds like an issue for Synology as it is no way related to FreePBX outside of you have it setup on a VM in a Synology system. So this is about backing up the VM not FreePBX.

I’m trying to use the Synology active backup module for freepbx New Contributed Module - Synology
It’s a Pbxact appliance, so it’s not virtualized and freepbx isn’t running on the synology. It does list a manual install process Install Active Backup for Business Linux Agent

Download the agent from here

Enter command line to install Linux snapshot driver and Linux backup service. Administrator role is required to execute the command.

Please switch the role to root before execution.

> sudo ./install.run

Installation complete

After the installation is complete, please type abb-cli -c to connect to Synology NAS and create the backup task.

To learn more commands about Active Backup for Business Linux Agent, please type abb-cli -h.

But I have to figure out how to download that agent file, is that a yum or wget command to download the agent url?

Well here’s the problem, it’s an unsupported contributed module that the author hasn’t documented in any real way. I guess you could try getting the agent from the actual location in the ticket you linked.

Web browser, wget, or curl. etc. Then unzip to extract the package, and as I think PBExact is a Red Hat derivative, yum to install the rpm.

There are also Windows packages, but I assume they aren’t for Asterisk.

That assumes that the naming is rational.

I used wget to download the file but when I try unzip ‘Synology Active Backup for Business Agent-2.4.2-2341-x64-rpm.zip’ it says it can’t find or open synology, synology.zip or Synology.ZIP
I’m not the well versed in Linux CLI, I know just enough to get myself in trouble, then have to poke around on the internet to get myself out of it. :frowning:

Why arent you downloading the freepbx module in the ticket?

I did. But when I open the module, it says the agent isn’t installed. When I click to Install, it hangs on Downloading. There’s a button for Process manual installation Synology Active Backup for Business Agent Installation Guide

Introduction

The installation file contains Linux snapshot driver and the Linux backup service.

System requirement

Linux distributions:

• CentOS: 6.10, 7.8, 8.1 (rpm)
  • RHEL: 6.10, 7.8, 8.1 (rpm)
  • Fedora: 30, 31, 32 (rpm)
  • Ubuntu: 16.04, 18.04, 20.04 (deb)
  • Debian: 8.0 to 10 (deb)

Required components on the target device:

• If you are on CentOS8, “kernel-headers-$(uname -r)” is needed, otherwise “kernel-devel-$(uname -r)”
  • make 4.1 version or above
  • libaio 0.3.110 version or above
  • dkms 2.2.0.3 version or above
  • gcc 4.8.2 version or above

For Linux servers without internet connection, you will need to download the required components and install them before running the installation script.

For Linux server with internet connection, the required components will be installed automatically by running the installation script.

Install Active Backup for Business Linux Agent

Download the agent from here

Enter command line to install Linux snapshot driver and Linux backup service. Administrator role is required to execute the command.

Please switch the role to root before execution.

> sudo ./install.run

Installation complete

After the installation is complete, please type abb-cli -c to connect to Synology NAS and create the backup task.

To learn more commands about Active Backup for Business Linux Agent, please type abb-cli -h.

Uninstall the agent

Type “yum remove synology-active-backup-business-linux-service” to uninstall the backup service.

Type “yum remove synosnap” to uninstall the driver.

F.A.Q.

Problem:

In the installation process the compilation of the kernel module fails, the following error is seen: In kernel headers for this kernel does not seem to be installed.

Solution:

This error has been presented to me in a FreePBX distribution (Sangoma Linux release 7.8.2003 (Core)) and this is the solution that I have found.

Step 1

The first thing is to check that we have kernel-devel installed with:
# yum install kernel-devel

Another way to check if it is installed is to look at the directory where the kernels are installed, it should look something like this:
# ls -la /usr/src/kernels/
total 4
drwxrwxrwx. 3 root root 41 Aug 19 2021 .
drwxrwxrwx. 8 root root 157 Jul 22 17:35 …
drwxr-xr-x 22 root root 4096 Jul 22 17:37 3.10.0-1127.19.1.el7.x86_64

Step 2

If all this is correct we will check if the symbolic link of “/lib/modules/{version}/build” exists.
On my system that file did not exist and because of this the kernel module that has to be compiled during the installation process shows the error message.
We create the symbolic link:
# cd /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/
# ln -s /usr/src/kernels/$(uname -r)/ build

Step 3

Since the module build process failed, trying to reinstall the update will still cause build issues.
To solve this, before starting the update process we must delete “/usr/src/synosnap-{version}/”, or do a “make clean” inside the directory “/usr/src/synosnap-{version}/”.

Opcion 1:

# rm -fr /usr/src/synosnap-*

Opcion 2:

# cd /usr/src/synosnap-{version}/
# make clean

Step 4

Once we have created this, we start the installation/update process again.

I followed the steps under FAQ. But I think the problem is the agent isn’t installed, so I’m trying to do that, I got it downloaded but need to figure out how to unzip and install it. I got the rpm file which I believe is correct for freepbx?

You need to quote the spaces in the file name. The easiest way is to put double quotes around the whole name.

Thanks guys! I figured it was something simple. Now I discovered he has a synology DS118 that doesn’t support Active Backup. Arghhh! I may set it up to backup to my nas, just to see how it works.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.