Critical Information for all DPMA users

The announcement went out a short while ago about the upcoming expiration of DPMA SSL certificates. For anyone who missed it, you can read about it here:
https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/DIGIUM/Desk+Phone+Module+for+Asterisk+(DPMA)+SSL+Certificate+Expiration
https://wiki.freepbx.org/display/FOP/Desk+Phone+Module+for+Asterisk+(DPMA)+SSL+Certificate+Expiration

This thread is intended to provide guidance for those using FreePBX and PBXact systems.

Who is affected?
Anyone using a DPMA supported phone and who is also using DPMA to provision it. Those who don’t have DPMA supported phones, or who have them but are not using DPMA to provision are not affected.

What do I need to do?
You must upgrade the Asterisk DPMA module to 3.6.2 or newer.

How do I know if I have a DPMA supported phone?
At the time of this writing the only DPMA phones are D series phones manufactured under the name Digium or Sangoma. Model numbers including D40, D50, D70, D80, D6x

How do I know if I’m using DPMA to provision phones?
If you are using the old Digium Phones module (located under the connectivity menu) you are using DPMA to provision the devices.
If you are using the commercial Endpoint Manager AND you have enabled DPMA in EPM Global settings you are using DPMA to provision.
If you are using any other method to provision a DPMA phone in FreePBX/PBXact, you are likely not affected, but as general good practice, anyone with DPMA phones should have a current version of DPMA,

How do I determine my DPMA version?
From the Asterisk CLI run the command digium_phones show version

How do I upgrade?
If you’re running a supported version of the FreePBX Distro or PBXact with a supported version of Asterisk, you can get the latest DPMA version at any time by doing system updates or by running the command yum update. After updating, you must restart Asterisk for the update to take effect.

I’m not running a supported version of FreePBX/PBXact or not running a supported version of Asterisk, what do I do?
Now is the time to migrate to a supported version. You may have options depending on how old your system is. You can contact support or you can start a forum thread here to solicit advice.

I’m not running the FreePBX Distro, what do I do?
If you’re running another distro, that would be a question for the distro publisher. If you self installed, you can use the original install method to upgrade DPMA for your Asterisk version.

I have DPMA phones, but I’m not using DPMA to provision. Do I have to do anything?
No, but as general good practice, anyone with DPMA phones should have a current version of DPMA.

I’ve waited too long, and now my old DMPA version has stopped working. What do I do?
Just follow the normal instructions to upgrade. Once DPMA has been upgraded, and Asterisk restarted, your DPMA phones will continue to work as normal.

Information for users of the old Digium Phones module under the connectivity menu

As of the time of this writing (2021-03-03), these are the DPMA versions available from the FreePBX yum repos:

sng7-pkgs: 3.6.2
sng7-testing: 3.6.3 RC 1

Both versions are newer than the minimum version required to address the SSL issue, but there are several reports from users of the Digium Phones module that the Visual Voicemail App and Record button having issues. The 3.6.3 version addresses these bugs.

As a Digium Phones module user that also relies on those phone apps, you may choose to upgrade to the 3.6.3 RC1 (or newer) version, or you can wait and upgrade when 3.6.3 is promoted to the sng7-pkgs repo.

If the upgrade is not done before this date can it be done later or is their some kill switch that breaks the phones from update into SSL cert later in the phknes for users who miss this notice.

Good question, original post updated. Just follow the normal instructions to upgrade and restart Asterisk. Once DPMA is upgraded, DPMA phones will continue working normally.

A post was split to a new topic: Error in Endpoint Manager

I am on version 3.6.2 of the DPMA module.

A post was split to a new topic: DPMA upgrade for 13

Just realizing that DPMA updates have not yet been published for the 13 Distro, so we will get on that right away next week. For anyone still on 13 now is an excellent time to migrate your settings to a new 15 install.

see post below.

As far as I know I’m not using any DPMA phones as the Sangoma S500 isn’t listed but from what I read above, the Distro versions are supposed to fix the problem automatically right? So why do I still get a Critical Error found notice on my Dashboard? I’m running a FreePBX appliance 15.0.17.24 with Asterisk 13.32.0 and have done all the System and module updates. It sounds like I’m not in danger but will the critical warning ever go away?

What are the supported versions of freepbx, I have one that is 2.11.0.43.

2.11, 12 and 13 are EOL.
I believe 13 is still getting some bug fixes as long as they backport

TY

At least the dpma is current.

Is there even a upgrade path from 2.11 to current? It has asterisk 11 as a base.

Will the D40’s work with the latest DPMA update? I have some offices with D40’s still and have had some issues when trying to connect them to a server with the latest DPMA installed, they flat out just give a “authentication failed” no matter which auth method is used (MAC/pin/global pin etc). I’m not trying to raise an issue, just curious if the D40’s should be ok or not.

Yes. Original post updated to include D40.

1 Like

Will the new SSL certificate (DPMA 3.6.2) expire again? If yes, wouldn’t it be nice to see a warning on the dashboard 1/2 year before it expires?

So phones need firmware updates as well?

I still use 2.9.9 on my D65 phones. But I had to install DPMA 3.6.3 (not 3.6.2), because playing mailbox messages didn’t work anymore. DPMA 3.6.3 is already online, but it seems not in the freePBX repository.
I followed the update instructions for 64-bit systems from here
https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/DIGIUM/DPMA+Installation

EDIT: I seems 3.6.3 is now also available in the freePBX repositories. So there is no need for the terminal…except if someone doesn’t want to update all packages.