XO Communications Install

Hi

Anyone installed FREEPBX to interface with XO ???

Would like to know - What I should ask XO - to get the PBX & XO Communicating

Any info - is helpful

Thanks
Walt

If this is a T1, are the splitting it for Data and Voice, or is a complete PRI circuit?

Yes - a T1 splitting into Data (Connecting to the Internet Server) and Voice (connecting to a Traditional PBX) - using a CISCO IAD2400.

I am Considering eliminating the Traditional PBX, and replacing it with FreePBX

Also - wondering if I should upgrade to XO Communication’s NEW SIP Service, still waiting on XO to see wether it is available yet.

Thanks
Walt

I don’t know about XO’s SIP service, but I would assume it’s similar to cBeyond’s SIP Connect service. Either has the benefit of freeing you from having to purchase and configure an interface card. With a properly configured end-to-end CISCO channel between your box and their PSTN connections, you should get excellent voice quality. Be careful though. If you get the circuit configured as fractional (half data/half PRI) you might not be able to implement the SIP solution for the term of whatever contract you sign.

If you do the fractional (half data/half PRI) ask them how many digits they will pass for DIDS. It could be anything from 3 to 10 depending on the blocks you get. They usually can’t give those to you with any reliability until the circuit is installed and turned up. Find out how many channels (probably will be 10-12) and which channel will be configured as D.

If you go the FreePBX route, my strong recommendation is Sangoma with hardware echo cancellation. Others, I am sure, have had good experience with other cards, and so have I. But I’ve had consistent good results with Sangoma, while my experience with others has been mixed.

Hi - and thank you for yor response

Right now - we have some kind of Data/Voice Setup (I’m not sure about the PRI - since the Samsung DCS Unit does not support it but XO made it work)
I do know we have a link between the CISCO IAD2400 to the Samsung DCS Traditional PBX, and a Link to my Internet Server

Should I consider SIP - SIP will not require a T1 Card like the ie: Sangoma, is this correct.?
I would simply connect the incoming line to the network or maybe the FREEPBX Server - dont know.

The way it is now - I will have to get a Sangoma Echo Cancellation T1 Card - for sure. or do you recommend bypassing this and have a SIP direct connection between incoming lines and whatever (network or FREEPBX)

Ques:

1. What Communication Strings would I need to ask from XO Communication - to establish a connection with FREEPBX

2. Where Do I Set this Up - under TRUNKS ? Do I ad a Zap, IAX2, SIP, ENUM, Custom Trunk - which one - I am still waiting from XO To Call me back from Tech Support - to figure all of this out.

3. Also - How do you recommend I setup Faxes ? We would like to have ANY incoming Line (upto 24 lines) as a Fax In, Fax Out, to terminate into a MicroSoft-Fax Server or to email - (I dont know whch or both yet) - What would you recommend.?

04 - We have a T1 (24 lines) incoming with Dedicated 3mb Voice/Data Connection Provider XO Communications Flex Lines, with an option to trap upto 256 DIDs, We presently us approx 12 DIDs now - We want to setup the system for Each DID to have its own IVR

Once again, thank you for your assistance and Happy Holidays

Walt

If it can’t accept PRI, maybe they installed a channel bank and input analog lines?

I tend to favor a PRI coming into a the interface card over the SIP services for a few reasons:

1. It provides a greater choice of telco carriers.
  2. It’s under your direct control
  3. I’ve had mixed results with fax over SIP - Zap works better in my experience
  4. I’ve found having actual Zap hardware improves timing over zaptel dummy.
  5. It’s an easier sell to management. IF for any reason someone is dissatisfied, a PRI is pretty generic and almost any other PBX can be brought in without worrying about messing up a carrier contract.

You would basically have a group (0 or 1) with specified channels (1-23 or 1-14 B channels - the 24 is usually the D channel). The specifics all go into either zapata.conf or zaptel.conf which is usually done during your card installation. You can specify the individual channels in FreePBX if you want, but I usually just use the group.

Having DIDS with fax detect and fax-to-email conversion and individual IVRs is all fairly easy to set up. I have had issues though with NVfax and Asterisk 1.4.x. although I’m sure this will be overcome, and may have been already by someone else here. As far as the quantity of DIDs, you can have as many as you want on a PRI. You’re only limited by the number of concurrent channels. If that’s a consideration, dual span and quad span T1 cards are also available.

Some distributions are making installation of Hylafax and AvantFax much easier to implement. It’s even easier to set up if you use a package that has it baked-in already.

Hi, and thank you for your reply

What connection strings, do I need to get from XO Communications.

What should I ask for, and where do I set this up in FREE PBX software

Happy Holidays

Thanks again
Walt

Presuming you are in the US, If you get a PRI, or a split data/PRI circuit, your configuration will end up something like:

/etc/zaptel.conf should look something like:

loadzone = us
defaultzone = us

#span definitions
span = 1,1,0,esf,b8zs

#channel definitions
bchan = 1-15
dchan = 24

And:

/etc/asterisk/zapata

context = from-pstn
switchtype = national
usecallerid = yes
echocancel = yes
echocancelwhenbridged = yes
rxgain = 0.0
txgain = 0.0

signalling = pri_cpe
group = 1
channel = 1-15

Some of this will end up in additional or custom files referenced by include statements. Hand editing the conf files isn’t always a good idea because the changes won’t always stick.

I usually request 10 digits passed for DID numbers just to help me keep everything straight.

I asked my contact over at Sangoma about fax detection. I had heard about an issue some had some time back and wanted to make sure they had addressed it. I will let you know what he says as soon as I get a reply.

Hi and how are you today

THank you for this information

Now - you mentioned that it is not a good idea to edit zaptel.conf

Therefore, I should imagine, there is an GUI to edit this in FreePBX - is this correct ?

Which Sections - should I update: Add Zap Trunk - and what else ?

Thank you for your time
SIncerely,
Walt

It depends what exactly you’re planning to install. A couple distributions, such as Elastix, have tried to make life a little easier by adding some GUI control. I’m trying to get a script together for PBXiaF as well, but it’s still a ways from being automated. I’d recommend just copying and pasting into the conf files though. I think the structure is a little different too. As long as you back up the original files, you can always recover if things go badly. As for where to put it, you’ll need to look at the version you are installing. Look at those two conf files and see what is commented out in terms of includes. _auto or _additional or _custom files are usually the best bet as long as the include statements are there and not commented out in the main files.

ok - thank you - I got it

Yes - I installed PIAF too, and was playing with it

I thought there was an interface in FREEPBX - I recall looking at that Conf file - - I will have check into it - Thank you for your time

But I can’t do anything until I get the Sangoma card

Thank you and Happy Holidays

Walt,

I know it’s been a while, but were you able to successfully find an XO config that worked with this interface?