Unable to connect to AMI

Asterisk 1.8.11 running on CentOS 6.2
Running FreePBX 2.9

SELinux is disabled.
Asterisk is running according to CLI but FreePBX Dashboard says not

Dashboard shows:

retrieve_conf failed, config not applied
Reload failed because retrieve_conf encountered an error: 126

I have implemented all the steps at http://www.powerpbx.org/content/rhel-asterisk-freepbx-install-guide-rhel-v6-asterisk-v18-freepbx-v29 so all permissions I can think of seem fine.

WHAT ELSE???

At the risk of being a smart a** if you followed the steps it would have worked. You missed something, mistyped something or did something out of order.

If the system can’t connect to the manager then the password in /etc/freepbx.conf does not match /etc/asterisk/manager.conf and/or asterisk is not running as asterisk user.

I certainly appreciate the smart a** sentiment which I may well have written myself. However, (a) not that useful and (b) there seem to be a large group of people who suffer the same predicament and have resorted to either reinstalling or simply walking away from freeBBX.

At the risk of further snarks, you are correct in the diagnosis: the manager.conf had the following instead of the default admin / amp111:

[AMPMGRUSER]
secret = AMPMGRPASS
deny=0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0
permit=127.0.0.1/255.255.255.0
read = system,call,log,verbose,command,agent,user,config,command,dtmf,reporting,cdr,dialplan,originate
write = system,call,log,verbose,command,agent,user,config,command,dtmf,reporting,cdr,dialplan,originate

That is a literal copy/paste – the install did not put in the default values but instead put in the variable names.

This I would class as a problem.

What OS version did this?

You can recreate with install_amp?

install_amp has username and password arguments.

This is CentOS 6.2

I installed asterisk cleanly from source and it went completely without incident. I then downloaded and installed freePBX using install_amp which superficially also went without incident. It was only when I brought up the GUI that it was obviously not connecting to AMI even though asterisk and AMI were both working fine.

The manager.conf file is the only thing that appears to be screwed up as noted previously. Now that is fixed, everything is OK.