Telnyx new prices skyrocket $0.07 in a lot of area codes for outbound local US calls

I checked one of the companies that I set up a Telnyx account for the last 30 days they used 3,496 minutes, 2,521 calls, (not including calling out to toll-free calls 205 calls), regardless on how many minutes used I’m not asking for any special pricing, I would not complain if I got a rate of 0.01, but charging me 0.07 for NY to NY 845 to 845 local calls is completely unreasonable and 10 times higher than anyone in the market, and not honoring the limit I set up in the portal of 0.05 and still letting these high-cost calls through

It’s like with other companies like Vitelity, they want their customers to go on wholesale agreements and minimum commitments and prefer the smaller ones that don’t make them a lot of money, but still need support and all, to go elsewhere.

I got bit by this one hard. The 60 second billing is crazy…obviously these guys are in financial trouble…I’ve seen companies do this before right before they fold.

I’ve moved outbound to Questblue.com for .0022. Contact Dean Lucero to get setup.

And I’ve seen a lot of people on forums who have no idea what they are talking about, present company included.

1 Like

the main thing I do is IT not Telecom so if you have something to say go for it I’d love to hear from you

A criticism of “obviously these guys are in financial trouble” … “right before they fold” - which is just nonsense. Not about what you said.

I’m not a Telnyx spokesperson but they appear to be doing great. And that could be part of the reason that low-volume (unprofitable) customers are getting higher rates.

Telnyx is a carrier, not an aggregator. It’s shocking to me that you can go to Telnyx’s web site and click “Sign up” and immediately have carrier-grade service. You can’t do that with Verizon, Bandwidth, CenturyLink etc. You have to negotiate a contract. But this is how Telnyx decided to open their doors.

The pricing may not be the best when you sign up by landing on their main page and clicking Sign Up. On the other hand, if you contract with Telnyx you will get the kind of pricing/service you expect (from a carrier).

Nothing about this seems strange to me, and it definitely does not lead me to believe that they are in any way having business troubles.

Go ahead and enlighten us then. Quadruple your rates and go from 6 second billing to 60 second billing is not what you do when you are being successful, and certainly not a move for Customer Retention.

It is as I said. You can have the “through-the-door” rates or you can work with them to get better rates. If you are pushing a good bit of traffic you should ask them. If not then you should probably use an aggregator instead. I’m sure they are retaining exactly the kinds of customers they want to retain.

2 Likes

I just signed up with Telnyx and got the through-the-door rate deck with scads of $0.07 US48 NPANXX’s. I’m surprised and disappointed to learn that there are only 18 such NPANXX’s in a high volume rate deck. Yes, I expect to pay more with low volume. No, I don’t expect on-net destinations for a high volume customer to be high cost off-net destinations for a low volume customer.

I compared three of Telnyx’s $0.07 destinations in my state with Anveo Direct prime tier carrier and aggregator rates. The AD rates were in the range of $0.01 to $0.02 (with 1/1 billing rather than 60/60).

I wound up setting a $0.005 (the low volume on-net rate) rate cap in the Telnyx user portal.

1 Like

Agreed; that’s just weird. I understand that support costs for low volume customers can more than wipe out any profit. Of course, they need to tolerate that a little, because some grow to be high volume, and some will recommend Telnyx to high volume users.

A possible support ticket system: A new user gets an allowance of three tickets. Once exhausted, tickets cost $10 apiece. For each $100 spent, the allowance is increased by one, up to a maximum of five.

Or, simply charge 50% more to any customer without a monthly commitment of $100 or more.

But the present system is bizarre. I have a system not in a big city – the ILEC here (Palm Springs area) is Frontier and the DIDs were ported from Frontier. Local calls are not high rate and AFAIK this system has not had a single high rate call. So calls to Frontier numbers in NY are high rate, but those in CA are not?? What have they been smoking?

Co-founder and CEO here. My first business was setting up FreePBX for SMBs in Chicago, so this community is particularly important to me.

We’re not in financial trouble nor are we trying to get acquired. If you haven’t noticed, we’re increasingly going head to head with a well-known player in the CPaaS space. If you look at our rate deck, you’ll find some similarities.

We adjusted our billing increments because we weren’t getting any credit in the market for 6/6. If this is something that you are sensitive around, we can absolutely get you 6/6 billing (and substantially lower rates) with a commitment.

That said, the .07 pricing should only apply to expensive rural or special service areas. Based on the comments here, it seems like we missed the mark. I’ll work with our pricing and costs team and evaluate which of these destinations is actually high-cost, and we’ll update the rates accordingly.

Lastly, we very much care about our customers of all sizes. That’s why we still offer free support to all our users (and are heavily staffing this team to get back to improve our response times, which have gone from minutes to hours due to our growth) and are hiring 25 engineers over the next six months to improve our self-service experience and launch exciting new features and products that I’m confident you’ll all love.

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll report back soon.

6 Likes

Thanks for addressing this issue.
The current low volume rate deck has 12714 $0.07 US High Cost (Zone 4) destinations.
The aforementioned high volume rate deck has 18.
That’s how many the low volume deck should have.
Those 12714 $0.07 US destinations shouldn’t all be $0.07.
IMO you should take the high volume deck, apply whatever markup is the inverse of the volume discount, and call that your low volume deck.
Looking at it another way discount shouldn’t affect billing zone – just billing rate.
Please let me know if I’m missing anything.

1 Like

The answer from Telnyx Support is that they bill based on LRN.

I wanted to follow up on this thread, and let everyone know that we were able to reduce the number of destinations that were Zone 4 and created a new Zone 5, which is $0.01. I hope that this addresses most of the issues many of you were having. If we missed the mark, please do let me know via DM.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.