System Recordings - Announcements

Is there a way to have the phone ring when using a “System Recording”? I have a small plumbing service business I run from home & would like to know when someone is calling like it does when using voicemail during business hours. We use the system recordings when we close for holidays and such. It goes straight to voicemail now.
Is there a better way to do this? Right now all calls goes to 1 extension with a voicemail.

Here is what is set up for special hours when we are closed:
Announcements > Our Message > Destination : VoiceMail - Ext. 100 (Instructions Only)

No real way.
Workaround would be to create a new MOH category with this audio, then create a queue or a ring group, select the new MOH category, add that extension and point failover to Voicemail > Ext 100 (Instructions Only)

Now, open that audio file in any music player, and check the amount of seconds… Go back to the queue or ring group, and set the ring time amount of seconds to match the audio.

Finally, instead of pointing to the original announcement, point it instead to this queue or ring group.

Remember to test, you might want to play a little with the ring time seconds that it should sound good for the caller.

1 Like

Thank You! I will see If I can get it to work.

How do I find-export the system recording so I can bring it into On Hold Music or Audacity?

If you don’t have that file anywhere on your local PC then login with root using a software like WinSCP and browse to /var/lib/asterisk/sounds/en/custom or maybe it’s /var/lib/asterisk/sounds/custom/en/ and copy that file to your PC

Thanks! I have WinSCP I just didn’t know where to look. I have set it up like you suggested and it appears to be working.
Thank You again!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.