Sangoma Phone Quality Thoughts

Just today we have been testing the Sangoma S700 Phone vs the Yealink T46G and this is what we came up with so far:

Pros:

• EPM Management is great in comparison (for obvious reasons)
    • Many Features exposed for modification
    • Failover SIP Port for outside access
    • No reboot of phone upon changing of Config file (for most features)
  • Phone Apps seem to be as fast now as the yealink (disabling Loading screen seems to make it faster??)
    - Phone Apps more reliable (so far)
    ** - Yealink has an issue with Voicemail App when trying to listen to record voicemail messages/greetings**
    - 45 virtual buttons as opposed to 24 (that was a major thing for us for BLF keys)
  • Voice quality seems pretty good

Cons:

• Buttons seem a little gummy and sometimes pushing quickly doesnt register

• Handset hurts to hold against the ear with shoulder because so much pressure needs applied to keep it in place. The cord it comes with is so stiff there is little give (we will need to buy cords separately)

• Volume rocker button down doesn’t work very well. (Up works great! lol)
    - LCD Screen “glare/visibility” angle on the low setting is horrible, the next setting up is too high for the point of balance on the phones so pushing the programmable BLF keys often teeters the phone back, and the last setting is the highest at which you can actually see the screen from a decent distance but unless its pushed up against my desk wall there is limited stability. Maybe its designed that way to be against the wall… but the stiff spring strength cable says differently. Yealink T46G has a great view at just about any angle. This is probably the biggest quality issue

• Much more expensive!!! Big killer for us there is about a $50 difference which is a lot when ordering 20-30 phones avg

• Now this was a review of the original phones they released last year, not sure if manufacturing has changed at all to correct some of the issues. We have new ones on order for testing. Bolded things are the most important

Overall I think we may actually switch to using them, but what do you guys/gals think about them for those that have really used both phones before.

I definitely found the stability in the more vertical position annoying. Also, the echo cancellation doesn’t work as well as my Polycom vvx300. When you do an echo test on the s500 you hear a secondary echo with a volume of 2 or higher.

That is not a Yealink flaw and can be changed.

When you make changes to Yealink config files and update the phone from EPM, Yealink phones reboot because FreePBX sends a SIP notify message to the phone that forces a reboot:

See sip_notify_additional.conf:
[reboot-yealink]
Event=>check-sync;reboot=true

If you don’t want the phone to reboot, put this in sip_notify_custom.conf
[reboot-yealink]
Event=>check-sync\

The phone will still reboot with changes that require a reboot to be applied, such as VPN, or other network settings. But most changes will get applied without rebooting, which is much more convenient.

This also works:
Event=>check-sync;reboot=false

Based on your feedback I think you must have a very early version. We have changed the keypad to be much more responsive and have changed the coil cords.

As format as handset have not heard that one and no changes have been done but most people would never use a handset for extended period of times and would use a headset or speaker phone.

As far as stand the middle position is what almost everyone uses as it’s perfect blend of verticals but very stable.

To extend this thread i just want to note that the rubber on the bottom of the phones has come loose (we ordered 1 S500 and 1 S700. We needed to Stick them on after unpacking. The glue not strong enough to keep the rubber on the phones. Maybe this happened by transport from the US to Europe.

WE changed the adhesive 6 months ago and have had no feet problems since then. Not sure what your stock came from.

If you need further information about distributor and date i can tell you in a message it is only a few days ago. But i am happy to hear that these problem is solved.

No that information would do us no good. You have old stock inventory before we made changes after getting feedback. I just looked and the changes on feet, coil cords and such were done Last June and July.

2 Likes

Hi All

We had similar issues to what others have expressed in here; however I agree with @tonyclewis the newer handset models have resolved our issues.

We purchased all of our devices direct from Sangoma, and can’t complain about the support we have received from them with our issues.

Cheers

We recieved the new phones and after using them i need to remove a few of the Cons from the list:

Cons:

• Buttons seem a little gummy and sometimes pushing quickly doesnt register - Fixed
  • Handset hurts to hold against the ear with shoulder because so much pressure needs applied to keep it in place. The cord it comes with is so stiff there is little give (we will need to buy cords separately) - Fixed
  • Volume rocker button down doesn’t work very well. (Up works great! lol) - Fixed
  • LCD Screen “glare/visibility” angle on the low setting is horrible, the next setting up is too high for the point of balance on the phones so pushing the programmable BLF keys often teeters the phone back, and the last setting is the highest at which you can actually see the screen from a decent distance but unless its pushed up against my desk wall there is limited stability. Maybe its designed that way to be against the wall… but the stiff spring strength cable says differently. Yealink T46G has a great view at just about any angle. This is probably the biggest quality issue (Still an Issue. I hope there are plans to put a better LCD screen in here with viewing angles
  • Much more expensive!!! Big killer for us there is about a $50 difference which is a lot when ordering 20-30 phones avg. (They are still as expensive but they come with free tech support for issues with the phones so that kinda makes it worth it but a little decrease in cost would help)

Remember that you get phone apps and endpoint for free with all sangoma phones.

The LCD is the exact same LCD that yealink uses last time I checked on their T46G and S.

Well I think we may go to them regardless but I can say the viewing angle of the sangoma 700 is not great in comparison to the T46G. I don’t know if it’s because it’s positioned back on the phone farther or the backlight isn’t as good but it’s different. Believe me I tested the viewing angles on 6 other techs who all agreed. :slight_smile:

Btw the sangoma side car is flipping amazing in comparison. It blew me away when I hooked it up. Amazing job with that.

I just wish it had Bluetooth for a headset.

Remember that you get phone apps and endpoint for free with all sangoma phones

Yes but we use PBXact devices and it’s $143 for the 3rd party phone add on. The cost is negligible. If the phones were 10% less I would have no complaint on price. It boils down to yes there are a couple downfalls but overall the list of pros is much better than the cons. :slight_smile:

Well you are in luck. We have a new replacement coming for the S700 in the next 2 months that has native bluethooth and wifi built into the phone no dongles that have limited range and flake out all the time for the same price of the current S700 called the S705.

2 Likes

we use the same screen in the sidecart that the phone uses. You sure you have a S700 not a S500 as the S500 does not have as high quality LCD but on the S700 the LCD was designed to work from all angles.

Yup! It’s got 10 buttons down the sides and the box said S700. Plus I have the 500 sitting next to it. :wink: And I thought the S705 was still a secret. Lol. However the fact the both wifi AND Bluetooth is included is cool. I thought it was only going to have Bluetooth.

I have both S500 and S700 phones here and would agree that they both have pretty dreadful viewing angles…

Dan

tony,

I thought they changed the rubber feet glue. I just got a new shipment in a couple of days ago and the rubber feet just fall off.

The same with our last shipment.