Ring Group behavior with off hook extension

I have a 3 extension ring group using “firstnotonphone” strategy. It works great, unless the first extension is off hook. Then caller always hears a busy signal. If the first extension is on a call, everything works as expected. I’d appreciate any ideas on how to handle a ring group with the first extension off hook (OH). Thanks!

This might add some clarity. I misspoke (mistyped?):
Any time the “firstnotonphone” extension which should receive an incoming call is off hook, caller gets a busy signal.
For example, If extension 1 is on a call, and ring group is called, extension two rings just fine, however, if extension 1 is on a call, and ring group is called while extension 2 is off hook (user is dialing a number say), inbound caller gets busy signal. Whenever the next available extension is off hook, caller gets a busy signal, even if there are more free extensions in the ring group than the off hook extension.
I hope this is clear to someone out there. Sorry. A bit rough to try to explain.

That makes sense, since the off-hook phone is not on a call. The trick is to find a ring strategy that works better for you. Which others have you tried?

It’s for a restaurant, so I think I’ll try disabling call waiting on the ATA and use the “ringall” strategy. So what I’m describing seems like expected behavior? Thanks for the information.

This is always my default position. it’s important that you explain to your customer (or your co-workers) that this isn’t a bunch of phones tossed together - this is a business class call management system that’s designed to make the best use of your telephony assets. Interrupting people’s calls with call waiting tones when the PBX could easily handle the situation in a relatively large number of esthetically appealing ways is the direction your organization should be heading.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.