Relocate call recordings and update CDR

We have retention policy that requires us to save our call recordings
for 7 to 10 years, and we make a ton of calls so we have outgrown the
1TB drive in the PBX. Additionally I am going to implement the FreePBX
HA module and do not want the calls stored on either machine.

I have read every forum I can find and see others with a similar issue but have seen no real solution, so I am hoping that someone out there can help me.

I see many warnings that the mounted storage must be always available or the system wigs out, but we have a script that basically says that if the connection is broken then save the file local, so that is not an issue, and the path in the database updates just fine.

My problem is that I can’t seem to get the CDR Reports to reflect the move and show the download or play icon/link. I will just use samba for finding calls older than whatever date I enable the change, but from then going forward I really need it fixed.

I am currently using FreePBX 6.12.65-28 with asterisk 11
Once I get this problem handled I will switch over to my 2 new FreePBX 13.0.29 with asterisk 13

Any help would be appreciated

You might try a "mount --bind " of your NAS file system over /var/spool/asterisk/monitor if you are sure of it’s robustness (make sure you modify any permissions if necessary) , you should probably also add something like:-

cache_record_files = yes ; Cache recorded sound files to another
; directory during recording.
record_cache_dir = /tmp ; Specify cache directory (used in conjunction
; with cache_record_files).

also to your asterisk options

Thank you for your response!
We tried mounting the share over /var/spool/asterisk/monitor and moving the files is not a problem. The only thing I cannot seem to conquer is getting the built-in CDR report to show the download/listen icons/links. I did not use fuse though, but after seeing your suggestion I did some reading up on it and will definitely use that going forward.

I think at this point, since we are going to the newest FreePBX with asterisk 13 very soon, is to go ahead and get one loaded in a VM and poke it with a stick a few times see if we can’t get it working the way we desire. I can just move the old recordings to my Archive server and let my quality control guys access it with samba.

I will look into the “cache recorded sound files” setting too as that sounds like an easier way to create a fail-safe should the mount become unreachable for some reason.

Thanks again for your input! you helped me realize that even if we did fix it that there is no guarantee that it would work the same in asterisk 13. So now we are going to get deeper into the new one and see what differences there are. Instead of trying to recreate the wheel.

• Christian
1 Like