New Distro install on Dell R250 with PERC H355

We’re installing on new Dell hardware and are experiencing the same issues as outlined here:
https://community.freepbx.org/t/raid-drivers-on-new-install/81818

Has anyone come up with a resolution to this yet?

During the server’s boot-up process, enter the PERC BIOS configuration utility (usually by pressing Ctrl+R). Create your desired RAID array (RAID 1 is often recommended for redundancy) using the virtual disk creation tools in the BIOS. Make sure to initialize the virtual disk.

When you reach the disk partitioning section of the installation process, the FreePBX installer should now recognize the RAID virtual disk as if it were a single drive. Partition the virtual disk according to your needs for the FreePBX setup.

The R250 is UEFI only, so we configured the PERC for RAID 1 via the normal UEFI boot up process. However, during the install, the Distro installer is not detecting the PERC nor the virtual drive.

Install a modern Unix such as Ubuntu or whatever, even Centos with the Dell written drivers and get all that happy. Then install virtualbox or whatever your choice of virtualizer is and install FreePBX in a VM.

Not only does it then allow you to easily move the FreePBX vm to different hardware it also makes it a snap to back up.

I know this is an option. We have lots of systems we host on an ESXi platform. The issue is that I’ve found when you’re dealing with large installs (100s of extensions), performance in a virtualized environment takes a hit. In those scenarios, we install the distro directly on the hardware.

That’s what I would prefer to do here.

Can you get a ‘regular’ Centos system working on this hardware, to determine what drivers and settings are needed, then use that info when setting up the FreePBX Distro?

If no special drivers are needed for the regular system, perhaps you can compare kernel modules, etc., to see what’s different and adjust the Distro install accordingly.

1 Like

This is likely something you are doing wrong in setting up the virtual host. Every single last “cloud calling” company out there, Ring Central, etc. and even Sangoma’s cloud calling, makes extensive use of virtualization since none of them run their own server farms they all outsource to AWS and suchlike.

ESXi, in fact, is a very primitive virtual host, it’s like VirtualBox. What you need to get familiar with is the current generation of hypervisors, I’d start with KVM.

You might consider that Broadcom just bought VMWare and is essentially milking it. It’s old tech.

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.