Need help in troubleshooting Zulu3 "connectivity issues"

I installed Zulu as per wiki and ZuluUC app on iPhone14
It works “randomly”
Often it sleeps and goes stuck in “connectivity issues”
Sometimes when mobile is called , it doesn’t ring while caller receives progress tone
Mostly I have no audio and “connectivity issues” is displayed on the app
But it isn’t a “no-working at all” issue, when it works it does its job greatly!

I have declared stun server in “media transport settings” as well as “webrtc settings”
Tried to declare ICE host candidates (I must admit, with no enough knowledge about it) with no improvement.
My pbx is behind Mikrotik NAT , FQDN is ok (as per let’sencrypt certificate generation) , public ip address ports 8002 TCP and 10000-20000 UDP are forwarded to PBX lan ip address.

The whole Zulu system would be great if I would find a way to make it stable and reliable.

Is there something I can check or troubleshoot ?
Thanks

Zulu on mobile is past end of life. For mobile you need to use Sangoma Talk which uses the same licensing.

Good to know… thanks
What about Sangoma Talk from the server (freepbx) side ??
Is it still Zulu or some other module to install/configure ?

Completely different

https://wiki.freepbx.org/display/CONNECT/Sangoma+Talk+Mobile

I give it a try just now !
Thank you

Can anyone tell me exactly what modules need to be installed and exactly what license is required to be able to receive SMS messages on an app or to email or a desktop app or ? when using VoIP Innovations Freepbx module? Not just via UCP.

I am quite confused by all the different names and licenses. A lot of the info is not even that old and it seems to already be outdated. I hear talk of Sangoma Trunks and Voipinnovation Trunks used interchangeably. There is Sangoma Talk and Sangoma Connect and Zulu client. I don’t know what it all means, what is outdated, what is new, what is just a name change, what requires a license, what doesn’t. What modules work with what thing.

A lot of things seem to tie into Zulu but what is that? Why is it not called something that describes what it is? There also seems to be a client and server part. That name doesn’t seem to have any relation to Sangoma Connect or Talk or whatever even though it seems that it is related somehow. There also appears to be a Zulu 2 and a Zulu 3.

Zulu is largely irrelevant now, you can ignore it.

Sangoma Talk mobile - currently supported mobile soft client from Sangoma
Sangoma Phone desktop - currently supported desktop soft client from Sangoma

Licenses for Talk and Phone are purchased for FreePBX from the portal as Soft Client licenses, priced per user per year.

SMS/MMS is supported on both soft clients provided you have DIDs from VI or SIPStation that support SMS.

Lorne

I thought messaging was moved to Sangoma Chat. With Sangoma Connect you had voice and messaging but all the screenshots I see on Talk show only voice and you need Sangoma Chat to do SMS. I am not 100% sure here but just based on what I have seen. Feel free to correct me.

Sangoma Talk mobile does SMS/MMS, voice, BLF, visual VM and webview apps. For local text chat (not SMS) then you use Sangoma Chat mobile. @shomi asked specifically about SMS.

Interesting. None of the documentation shows that. But good to know its still there.

https://wiki.freepbx.org/display/CONNECT/Introducing+Sangoma+Talk
https://wiki.freepbx.org/display/CONNECT/Using+the+Sangoma+Talk+Mobile+App

That clears it up quite a bit thanks.

1 Like

Sangoma Talk into iPhone seems to work fine for now ! :crossed_fingers:
As one has to open 5060 port to his PBX, are there official guidelines to follow to secure the system against malicious attacks ?

Is it possible to use 3rd party SIP clients to send/receive SMS messages using the VoIP Innovations or Sangoma trunk modules? I use MicroSIP to send/receive SMS messages with other providers so it should just work with the VI module as well. I couldn’t get it to work but maybe I did something wrong.

1 Like

The security recommendation is to not use port 5060 and change the external transport to TCP. On top of that enable the responsive firewall and that should get you a long way to securing things a lot more then running on default ports and protocols.

A Secure FreePBX is a Happy FreePBX | FreePBX - Let Freedom Ring

FreePBX Security Best Practices - FreePBX Documentation - Documentation

Secure FreePBX - FreePBX / Security - FreePBX Community Forums

Well…I have enabled the responsive firewall and SangomaTalk can login no more…
Shouldn’t responsive firewall grant access after a regular login ?
What should I check/set ?

My fault, I haven’t enabled the PJSIP part of firewall… :upside_down_face:

As my mobile ip address is obviously subject to change, I suppose I have still to leave port 5060 opened to the world, despite push server addresses are well known.

Few questions:

Change the PJSIP port to something different from 5060 wouldn’t mean to change all the local devices settings and any further new device that , by factory, point to port 5060 ??
Is it a solution to add a new interface facing internet other than the original LAN one?
Is of any help to map, at main firewall, an external different port to the inside_lan 5060 one ?
Once port 5060 has been changed, how Sangoma Talk will be informed to change port ?? Just re-sending Invite e-mail ?
Thanks

So if you enable TCP on the PJSIP driver you can assign it to listen on a different port then your UDP transport. Then if you have PJSIP trunks and your provider supports it you can change their signaling to TCP on the newly created TCP port and tell the Talk apps to use TCP instead of UDP as well.

This way you can leave your local phones unchanged but push the external facing stuff to work over the new random TCP port for SIP signaling.

Yep…VoiP trunk to ISP is involved too…
Things are getting interesting…
Time to deeply study the whole thing…
One thing is sure: since port 5060 opening, pbx is flooded by random public IP packets !!

Does anyone have an answer?