How to Upgrade FreePBX Distro 13 to 14


(Marbled) #21

Hi!

Right now there are like 3 (known) problems that can cause loss of network connectivity.

  • Running under a VM with a VMware specific NIC. I would not be surprised you could have the same problem with other VM solutions though…
  • Having some types of DAHDI hardware. The ones which seem to be causing problems right now are the ones who appear like network cards to the system once their drivers are loaded.
  • In some situations having IPv6 activated on your system.

I don’t think it’s that easy in this case since this problem was reported early on by one of the early testers (ie @waldrondigital) over a month ago.

I was one of those early testers and had the loss of network connectivity problem but in my case early on it seemed to be related to my DAHDI card which, once it’s drivers are loaded, appears like a network card.

(I could not say with certainty until very recently…)

Back when I ran the distro upgrade “script” there were other issues with those DAHDI drivers and the ones specific to my card (Wanpipe drivers for my Sangoma A200) and it looks like this might actually have helped in some ways because I think it might be once those DAHDI drivers got updated/moved out of the way that my system network connectivity was restored.

I still had a problem which was causing a slow but for me but lost of network connectivity for others which I thought I fixed this week but I had a weird problem today so I am not sure anymore.

Each time someone reports a network connectivity problem my first two questions are “Are you running a VM and do you have DAHDI hardware?” because, early on, this seemed to be what was tying those network connectivity problems together…

(It’s actually me who referred @mattbratt to the post he referred you too like a day or two ago… :wink: )

I believe the network connectivity test is actually in response to the network connectivity problems @waldrondigital and me had that this test was added to stop the upgrade as soon as the problem was noticed…

I have not played with VMs in quite a while but Iwould not be surprised it would a missing driver thing and that they might not be allowed to distribute the VMware one or something like that…

What I guess they could do is try to detect your network card is setup like this and tell you to change before allowing the script to run further.

As for IPv6, someone reported having IPv6 activated was causing him DNS issues and those tend to look like network connectivity problems even though it is something only name resolution problems…

Of those problems, as an early tester, I only had one but had quiiiiite a few others, most of which have been fixed…

Good luck and have a nice day!

Nick


(Marbled) #22

Hi!

As I said here:

Only consider running it if you have a looooooooot of time on your hands which is something usually not possible in Production…

CDR, when lost during the upgrade, are usually caused by one of two things…

  • odbc.ini got moved out of the way into odbc.ini.rpmsave…

re:

  • Somehow the proper asterisk*-odbc package was not installed…

re:

(and the message after it)…

I actually opened a ticket for it even though I did not have this specific problem, see FREEPBX-1581.

Unfortunately since I did not have that problem I cannot provide the logs @GameGamer43 is asking for in that ticket… If anyone encounters this problem please upload your logs to this ticket so he can track down the problem…

If you mentioned this problem on the forums and I did not suggest this (or if it did not work), I am sorry…

As for dependencies, this type of problem or something different?

By the way, I did remove those conflicts manually after…

The only one which needed special treatment was kmod-dahdi IIRC…

I did consider that once my system started working but I wanted to see if I could figure out how to fix all the issues I had and report them if it seemed like it was unlikely it was fixed…

Have a nice day!


(Marbled) #23

Hi!

Chances are, if your system is relatively stock and

  • Not running on a VM.
  • Not using some type of DAHDI hardware.

You might not have problems or have problems which are easy to fix and already have documented fixes…

Problem is you might not notice them immediately (like non-working CDR) and once you do it might be too late and you might have lost information you had to keep (like those CDR entries…).

One person had a non-working Fax Pro module and IIRC it was down for days until it was found his system was missing a package because the content of one package was split into two on the new distro upstream (It’s Centos based)…

The Fax Pro module might be commercial I believe you kind of say your (official) commercial support goodbye until it is out of beta…

Hopefully he doesn’t use much faxes anymore but still needed this to work…

You might also have the weirdest of problems we have not encountered before of don’t have easy and documented fixes and go back to FreePBX 13 and restore from a backup.

I ran the distro upgrade “script” on a system you could call “Production” but it’s the system I use for my home phone

If things don’t work quite right there is an automatic failover of the most important phone line(s) to mobile phones and I can temporarily setup something (I did setup an ATA as a temporary solution) if things take too much time to resolve…

Even though it’s the system which handles my home phone it’s also a test system as well with multiple DIDs, VoIP providers, outbound routes, etc… Not exactly a company phone system but definitely more than an home phone system…

I made sure I had backups, time and was willing to have downtime if it turned out to be necessary but there were while for you acceptable downtime might be like 4 hours, mine was more than 4 days (of course after having setup that ATA…).

Good luck and have a nice day!

Nick