How to make my Polycom IP 331 phones get the directory that I've created on FreePBX extensions?

See I just need for my Polycom IP 331 phones get the directory that I’ve created on FreePBX extensions. I just have installed freepbx 13 on sangoma/centos7. Got my extensions calling, but not able for the phones to get the directory. I’ve tried doing this https://t.co/aGCStwd48E bit did not work.

Please help.

Thanks in advance.

Are you sure the directory file is in the correct format?
Did you make sure the phone downloaded the directory file?

There are quite a few ways to do this, many of them documented here in the forum.
@PitzKey did some work on this just a few months ago, IIRC. Polycom IP6000 Enable directory (contacts) might be a good starting point.

I’ve just followed these instructions in this post https://crosstalksolutions.com/freepbx-polycom-directory-automation/

First was to create a script and filling with the information there. See, I managed for this 000000000000-directory~.xml file to get the extensions I’ve created in freepbx wen GUI by itself. Issue is that the phones are not getting the directory, even the guy at the article executed the script and on his phones, they were getting the directory.

Just to clarify, I am using Polycom IP 331 phones that I am connecting into a new freepbx system, which is Freepbx13, and they have already a directory donwloaded on them, so I thought , a they were connecting on a new Freepbx server, they would take the new directory instead, is that right?

Yes, he is doing the same as me, I´ve followed every instruction on this article https://crosstalksolutions.com/freepbx-polycom-directory-automation/

Just to clarify, I am using Polycom IP 331 phones that I am connecting into a new freepbx system, which is Freepbx13, and they have already a directory donwloaded on them, so I thought , a they were connecting on a new Freepbx server, they would take the new directory instead, is that right?

Having worked with Polycom phones a couple of times, I would not expect that to be true.

As I recall, the phone doesn’t actually download the directory unless it knows where the download location AND the directory file has been updated. If there are any errors (including permissions), then the directory will not get updated from the one currently stored in the NVRAM in the phone. Also, it’s something the phone does, so the relationship to the server is not really there. IIRC, you can get the phone to download the directory file from literally anywhere with a URI.

Those phones on first freepbx server (11), they were getting the directory by me editing each an each directory file from every phone (65) by manually, so this was a 15 minutes process, so, I thought I would do that in here but I really don’t know how, but as I want to improve, I thought I would edit the 0000000000-directory.xml file I’ve just created in ths second Freepbx server ( which I’ve said this 000000000000-direct.xml file has taken every extension I’ve created on freepbx just by itself), but I was not able yet.

But to be honest, I am not following you with that SIP URI…

Right back at you. Who said anything about a SIP URI?

It’s been a long time since I did anything with a Polycom phone, so I’m working from memory.

The file is (as you know) just an xml file. There is nothing in FreePBX (unless you add it) that can create that file. It needs to be done by an external program, and the phone will reload it whenever you tell the phone to reload it. One important point to remember is that the file must be completely error-free - anything that flags as a warning will keep the file from uploading to the phone. That includes permissions (which can be a problem caused by programs that write the file into the tftpboot directory tree).

There is nothing that Asterisk or FreePBX does that has anything to do with that. The phone knows to try to grab the “system” directory from wherever it’s programmed to do that from. In most installations, it’s under a directory in the /tftpboot directory, but that’s going to be dependent on the rest of the phone’s XML files and (I think) the Option-66 settings in the DHCP server, which is a normal URI. I’m pretty sure that @PitzKey wrote a program that would update these directory files and (maybe, I think) send a “reload” event to the phone to have it try to pull the new file.

As I recall, each phone can pull its own macmacmacmac-directory.xml file, (where mac…mac matches the phone’s MAC address) and it can pull the 000000000000-directory.xml file, which should be the one for all of the phones in the system.

Updates to the 000000000000-directory.xml file won’t propagate automatically - you have to set the phone to reload them. There’s no way to push the files - your phone has to ask for and accept them. If you are using tftpd to manage your boot files, you can specify “-v” in the xinetd tftp service file to see what files the phone is trying to pull.

I don’t remember… It’s been a long time since I touched a Polycom. Sangoma and Yealink works wonderful

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.