How to do this dial plan

My previous system had this dial plan and need to implement it on FreePBX/PBXAct which is the new system I have:

There is ONE outgoing trunk (Voip), which allows me to send any caller ID I want. All outbound phone calls go through this trunk. NORTH AMERICA.

• dialling any 10 digit number will show the extension’s caller ID as set on an extension-per-extension basis
  • dialling 7 digit number will prepend area code 555 (example) and send the extension’s own caller ID as above
  • dialling 9** plus a 10 digit number will send out a different CALLER ID number and name (that of the second company, e.g. “COMPANY B”<5555555555>) and yes, my SIP trunk supports this type of caller ID/number
  • dialling 8** plus a 10 digit number will send out a different caller ID number and name (that of the third company, e.g. “COMPANY C”<6666666666>)
  • dialling 9** plus 7 digits will prepend 555 area code (example) and send out caller ID of 9** route as above, and dialling 8** plus 7 digits will also prepend 555 area code and send out caller ID of 8** route as above.

(the star prefix doesn’t need to be specifically X**, it can be X* or X, etc.)

How to make this work?

1. and 2. are simply an outbound route for 10 and 7 digit dialing without CID. Set the Outbound CID on the Extension’s settings. Item 2 will have a 555 on the prepend field.
  2. Set the 9** as prefix and then a 10 digit pattern. For the CID number and name on the outbound route with the ‘Override Extension’ = ON.
  3. Same as item 3 with 8** as prefix.
  4. Prefix 9** and a 7 digit pattern. Prepend the area code. Override the extension CID number and name. Then, prefix 8** and a 7 digit pattern, prepend area code and force the CID number and name.

GL

Thanks for your reply.

Does below look correct? (on other screen I set the route CID as the CID I want when you don’t dial a prefix)…

That should look OK. I think the first two lines (for item 1 and 2) will have to be on a separate outbound route since those will not have their CID overridden.

7-digit dialing has been discontinued in the US. Carriers/providers are mandated to deny the calls. This is due to the introduction of 988 for mental health emergencies.

988 is also an active exchange in numerous NPA/area codes. Users need to be able to dial 988 and get through.

Just keep that in mind.

This is not correct. The CallerID field is a filter. Allows only matching CallerIDs to use that pattern. The CallerID it matches against is the extensions CallerID.

As it stands only devices presenting 5555555555 and 666666666 and 777777777 will match. Remove the callerid settings.

Also, I noticed you have 519 as the area code. That area code has overlays meaning that 555-1000 exists both as 519-555-1000 and 226-555-1000.

Why are you doing 7-digit dialing in an locale that has overlays?

Obviously the carrier will deny the call if it’s just receiving a 7-digit call. That’s not what I was asking for.
And I am not in USA (I’m in Canada)

I myself do lots of business on the phone and 80% of my calls go to one local area code so being able to dial XXXXXXX and have the area code prepended saves lots of time when calling. FYI all major cloud phone systems (vonage, 8x8, ringcentral) also support this functionality (they allow you to setup a 7-digit dialling area code PREPEND to save you time) so it isn’t something out of ordinary. For those who don’t understand - with the 7-digit dial prepend, this means that PBX will recognize according to dial plan that you’re trying to make outbound 7-digit call and will PREPEND the area code you set, BEFORE sending the call out to the trunk (otherwise if the trunk receives 7-digits it will deny it).

I have already got it to work

For the default dial plan (without the 9**/8** prefixes) all I needed was that when I dial a seven digit # it will prepend 519. It’s a nice time-saving feature.
Thanks

I wasnt referring to the default routes. I was referring to the routes you want specific callerid set on. Those routes are wrong because the CallerID field doesnt set the CallerID it is the CallerID it will match against.

Sorry I don’t understand what you mean with this could you please clarify, thanks

The screenshot of your outbound routes. You had routes with the CallerID field populated. You had them populated with the placeholder CallerIDs you gave as “I want these CallerIDs to show”.

Putting them in that field is wrong. That field isnt used to populate CallerIDs. It is used to restrict that pattern to the callerid of the device making the call.

So in order to show the different CID based on the prefix, I should split the prefixes into separate outbound routes?

Correct because you want to set the Route CID and set it to override the extensions. The callerid field in a pattern is so you can restrict patterns to certain devices/extensions.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.