How to Avoid Upgrading Issues

What is the best way to avoid issues with upgrading the system? Every version of FreePBX I have used in the past, including version 14 has had updating problems with dependencies. What am I doing wrong that causes this to happen?

• Appointment Reminder cannot be upgraded:
    * The Module Named “amd” is required. Please try again after the dependencies have been installed.
  • Broadcast cannot be upgraded:
    * The Module Named “amd” is required. Please try again after the dependencies have been installed.

You need to install the AMD module first before those can be used.

I understand this but it was an upgrade, not an install. How can I prevent upgrade issues from happening in the future?

Well I do this:

Sometimes I go crazy and hit the Changelog option to see what was actually done.

This is no different than any other system out there. Dependencies must always be resolved first and they generally do a good job telling when that is.

These days most distros will not get into a dependency hell by themselves… So I take it that nothing can be done about this to make it seamless?

Upgrade from the cli and you won’t have these issues.

Can you please be more specific? What command(s) do you recommend we run so we don’t run into these issues? Thank you!

fwconsole ma --help

It’s all in the wiki. Fully documented.

So you are saying if we use the command “fwconsole ma updateall” we won’t have the issues with dependencies?

For the most part, yes. The CLI commands assumes no real user could be running it. It could be called upon by a cronjob or another script, so it just does the job. The GUI on the other hand expects 100% user interaction so it tells you what is wrong and what you need to do to fix it.

Great, thanks. That’s the way I’ll be updating this product from now on. I don’t have the time to be fussing around with dependency issues so we’ll be creating a cronjob to keep the product up to date.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.