Fresh SNG7 install, DAHDI fails to load

Fresh install of SNG7 (12.7.3-1707-2.sng7), DAHDI fails to start with following error

[root@freepbx ~]# fwconsole restart
Running FreePBX shutdown…

Stopping UCP Node Server
[>---------------------------] 1 sec
Stopped UCP Node Server
Stopping Chat Server
Stopped Chat Server
Shutting down Asterisk Gracefully. Will forcefully kill after 30 seconds.
Press C to Cancel
Press N to shut down NOW
[============================] 1 sec
Wanrouter: No valid Sangoma Hardware found, if you have no Sangoma cards this is OK
Stopping DAHDi for Digium Cards
DAHDi Stopped
Running FreePBX startup…
Wanrouter: No valid Sangoma Hardware found, if you have no Sangoma cards this is OK
Starting DAHDi for Digium Cards
DAHDi Failed: The command “/etc/init.d/dahdi start” failed.

Exit Code: 1(General error)

Working directory: /root

Output:

Starting dahdi (via systemctl): [FAILED]

Error Output:

Job for dahdi.service failed because the control process exited with error code. See “systemctl status dahdi.service” and “journalctl -xe” for details.

Running Sysadmin Hooks
Restarting fail2ban
fail2ban Restarted
Updating License Information for 82499282
Starting Asterisk…
[============================] 3 secs
Asterisk Started
Starting UCP Node Server…
Started UCP Node Server. PID is 12404
Starting Chat Server…
Started Chat Server. PID is 12564
[root@freepbx ~]# systemctl status dahdi.service
● dahdi.service - LSB: DAHDI kernel modules
Loaded: loaded (/etc/rc.d/init.d/dahdi; bad; vendor preset: disabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Wed 2017-08-16 06:51:23 -03; 22s ago
Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)

Aug 16 06:51:03 freepbx.sangoma.local dahdi[11822]: [FAILED]
Aug 16 06:51:03 freepbx.sangoma.local dahdi[11822]: wctc4xxp: modprobe: ERROR: could not insert ‘wctc4xxp’: Required key not available
Aug 16 06:51:03 freepbx.sangoma.local dahdi[11822]: xpp_usb: modprobe: ERROR: could not insert ‘xpp_usb’: Required key not available
Aug 16 06:51:23 freepbx.sangoma.local dahdi[11822]: Error: missing /dev/dahdi!
Aug 16 06:51:23 freepbx.sangoma.local systemd[1]: dahdi.service: control process exited, code=exited status=1
Aug 16 06:51:23 freepbx.sangoma.local systemd[1]: Failed to start LSB: DAHDI kernel modules.
Aug 16 06:51:23 freepbx.sangoma.local systemd[1]: Unit dahdi.service entered failed state.
Aug 16 06:51:23 freepbx.sangoma.local systemd[1]: dahdi.service failed.

If I try to run /etc/init.d/dahdi start I get this error

[root@freepbx init.d]# ./dahdi stop
Unloading DAHDI hardware modules: done
[root@freepbx init.d]# ./dahdi start
Loading DAHDI hardware modules:
modprobe: ERROR: could not insert ‘dahdi’: Required key not available
wct4xxp: modprobe: ERROR: could not insert ‘wct4xxp’: Required key not available
[FAILED]
wcte43x: modprobe: ERROR: could not insert ‘wcte43x’: Required key not available
[FAILED]
wcte12xp: modprobe: ERROR: could not insert ‘wcte12xp’: Required key not available
[FAILED]
wcte13xp: modprobe: ERROR: could not insert ‘wcte13xp’: Required key not available
[FAILED]
wct1xxp: modprobe: ERROR: could not insert ‘wct1xxp’: Required key not available
[FAILED]
wcte11xp: modprobe: ERROR: could not insert ‘wcte11xp’: Required key not available
[FAILED]
r1t1: modprobe: ERROR: could not insert ‘r1t1’: Required key not available
[FAILED]
rxt1: modprobe: ERROR: could not insert ‘rxt1’: Required key not available
[FAILED]
wctdm24xxp: modprobe: ERROR: could not insert ‘wctdm24xxp’: Required key not available
[FAILED]
wcaxx: modprobe: ERROR: could not insert ‘wcaxx’: Required key not available
[FAILED]
wcfxo: modprobe: ERROR: could not insert ‘wcfxo’: Required key not available
[FAILED]
wctdm: modprobe: ERROR: could not insert ‘wctdm’: Required key not available
[FAILED]
rcbfx: modprobe: ERROR: could not insert ‘rcbfx’: Required key not available
[FAILED]
wcb4xxp: modprobe: ERROR: could not insert ‘wcb4xxp’: Required key not available
[FAILED]
wctc4xxp: modprobe: ERROR: could not insert ‘wctc4xxp’: Required key not available
[FAILED]
xpp_usb: modprobe: ERROR: could not insert ‘xpp_usb’: Required key not available
[FAILED]

Error: missing /dev/dahdi!

Do you have DAHDI hardware? It looks like your DAHDI software setup is going, but the hardware doesn’t seem to be responding.

Unfortunately that is not the issue. The error about key not available is generaly related to compilation issues due to kernel mismatch, which is very strange because I didn’t compile DAHDI by myself, it is the version installed by the SNG7 installer.
In any case, DAHDI should load even without any cards installed.
In fact, with FreePBX Distro 10.13.66.18 on the same server, without any cards installed, DAHDI loads with no errors.

Hi!

Can you try

What are your results?

If you get the same thing described in the message that follows, try this:

(which is, by the way, safe, @GameGamer43 confirmed it…)

Good luck and have a nice day!

Nick

and the few messages that follow

Unfortunately, it doesn’t solve the issue, I think there is a kernel mismatch, even though this is a default installation and no manipulation of the DAHDI package as been done.

Hi!

I have an upgrade from the old Centos of FreePBX 13 to Sangoma 7 but we are using the same repos, should have access to the same packages so this seems improbable…

I am not saying it cannot be caused by that but the first matches I get for this error on Google are issues about key signing and having activated secure boot in the BIOS…

That would make sense since those modules are most likely not signed…

My guess is the old distro didn’t care about secure boot and didn’'t check for this…

Can you please check if “secure boot” is activated in your BIOS?

Nick

Thanks for the tip, but secure boot is not enabled.

Hi!

Unless @GameGamer43 has an idea, it might be time for a ticket…

It definitely felt like it could be secure boot related, I wonder what other kind of “key” they are referring to…

The requirement for signed modules is configurable at the kernel level as far as I can see but we are supposed to have the same kernel (what does uname -r gives you?) so if it was set at that level we should both have the same issue.

Of course, I don’t use a Digium card but a Sangoma one (an A200 to be exact) but it should warn me when I try to load one of these modules if I had the same problem…

Nick

I have the same kernel as you. It shouldn’t matter which card you have, even without a card that error should not be happening.

@arielgrin Did you ever find a solution?

In that moment, I think I just kept using FreePBX 13 distro if I recall correctly. Are you experiencing that issue now?

Yeah along with another strange issue, asterisk keeps crashing, but the gui doesn’t show it in the dashboard status.

Can you post the error that you get? Which version of the distro? Which card? Does this error just started happening or happened since the server was initially installed?

cat /etc/schmooze/pbx-version
12.7.6-1904-1.sng7
no cards installed but as you said dahdi should load anyway,
the issues started like 2 days ago, the only error I found so far is the same as you got from dahdi.

Are you saying that the error just showed up from nowhere, or have you updated anything?

Yes I updated modules a few days earlier

Just modules or did you update anything with yum update?

You got me, yes I did a yum update but I think that was after the issues started.

You could always try to reinstall DAHDI with yum.

It looks like a UEFI issue.
https://issues.freepbx.org/browse/FREEPBX-19903