FreePBX support for newer Cisco phones

We are running the latest version of FreePBX.
We are looking to replace our older cisco small business phones with newer 8800 series 3PCC versions.
I am baffled at the lack of support for any modern Cisco phones on FreePBX.

Is there any updates on when 8800 series 3PCC or even 7800 series phones will be supported?

I mean, if FreePBX wants to exist in a market beyond just 10 person offices, why has there been such neglect on testing and certifying new templates for modern cisco phones? Especially since 3PCC versions have been out for several years.

I’m not sure why you are labeling FreePBX here not being able to serve more than 10 person offices. We are serving clients with close to 300 endpoints.

And why do you accuse FreePBX for “neglect on testing”? when it doesn’t even depend on FreePBX.

Yes, I understand your frustration, but as long as Cisco isn’t cooperating, or until FreePBX allows you to create your own templates, then there’s nothing really you can do other than building your own provisioning server, or register them manually.

And technically, you can build your provisioning server on FreePBX as well, we’ve done that in the past for brands that are not currently supported.

But I do agree with you that it’s missing a ton of newer models in most supported brands.

Not to mention that Cisco’s SIP-firmware is usually full of bugs and you have to apply a patch to Asterisk for full BLF support.
Don’t get me wrong, I love Cisco phones…but freePBX must support phones first, which are made for Asterisk, like the new Sangoma D-Series phones!
On my Cisco 8961 I have to use a SIP firmware which is 8 years old…just because the devs introduced a bug into later Cisco FW versions, which destroys the „call completed elsewhere“ feature.

I am baffled that people still think Cisco makes phones for the sake of making phones. They don’t. They are not Yealink or Polycom, etc.they are Cisco. They like to do things the Cisco way and thus the Call Manager platform. It really doesn’t matter if it’s Asterisk/FreePBX or another PBX system like 3CX, these phones are not designed for them they are designed for the Call Manager platform.

So to be clear here, those lines of Cisco phones are meant for the Call Manager. Yes, they can work as basic SIP phones with other systems but their higher level features like BLF, conferencing, pickup, etc. will require a specialized patch (as pointed out) and some extra work to make their feature set worth using on FreePBX.

You also have to look at the upside on this. If you weren’t running a FreePBX or another Asterisk based system that let you modified things, you’d be really screwed because PBX systems like 3CX and others don’t let you just patch and recompile their source and will never have the ability to unlock the feature sets of those phones.

Curious, if you like your phone system, why not replacing the old phones with ones that are more compatible with FreePBX?

Guys, before beating this guy up any further, you should read up on the Cisco 8800 multi platform/3pcc devices. They are specifically for non Cisco platforms and even list Asterisk as a supported pbx. https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/collaboration-endpoints/unified-ip-phone-8800-series/datasheet-c78-738030.html

My point is there is a reason for the way we do things, understanding the reason for choosing his phones may help provide a solutions for his problem.

New devices are added to EPM at the request and cooperation of the phone manufacturer. You can talk about it here to raise awareness, but otherwise there is little value to this discussion. Your efforts need to be directed to the phone maker.

1 Like

Fair enough. However, still going to run into the same issue as we do with the latest Polycoms. Which is, like Polycom, they aren’t certified vendors with FreePBX. So just like with every new Polycom that has been released there is no support for them.

The EPM documentation for support devices recommends that you use only certified partners for full support and compatibility. Non-certified receives no support and very basic updates. When you look at the list, it’s not pretty. Yealink comes out as the only non-Sangoma phone that has fully support across all their models in the EPM. Well, HTek does to but it’s HTek.

For me the EPM has lost a lot of its appeal. Over the past few years the amount of supported devices that are actually supported by the vendor has gone down considerably. Pretty much all of the Polycom models are EOL or on the EOL road (such as the old VVX models). The cost was raised and even Phone Apps went to a “Works with Sangoma stuff but other phones are best effort”.

I ended up letting multiple EPM licenses expire because it lacked any current support and really limited my abilities to use the full feature set that the phones I use like Polycom and even Yealink. So I just ended up doing my own provisioning server and templates to deal with what I needed. Including supporting Yeastar gateways.

2 Likes

No offense but usually it’s the smaller business that reaches out to the bigger one for partnership. Now of course Sangoma would like to sell their own phones but Cisco and Polycom are probably worth considering too.

2 Likes

Cisco wants to sell their complete phone systems, that’s the reason why the SIP FW of the phones is full of bugs…

Are you saying that from experience with the 8800 series phones or just parroting old knowledge about the obsolete 7900 series which we all know had poor SIP firmware?

2 Likes

from experience with the 8961 phone too…I have around 10…
…they work now…but with a SIP FW from Oct 2011!!!
…and without EPM!

What about in cases where the phone maker, like Polycom, used to be a certified partner and are no longer one? I’m not sure why the partnership with Polycom ended, be it Polycom’s or Sangoma’s call. So what would compel them now to rejoin the partner program?

Actually, the fair question is what would compel any phone maker to approach Sangoma and request to be part of the EPM?

2 Likes

I think you answered your own question.

I think you need to read up more on what 3PCC phones are.

It’s easier to replace the phones than it is the phone system. I inherited FreePBX and love it or hate it, that’s the phone system we have and I want to make it successful.

New 8800 series cisco phones have much better sound quality than our 10 year old cisco small business phones. Why cisco and not anything else? Why anything else and not cisco? It’s our preferred phone.

I disagree completely.

Agreed. I think Sangoma has a bit of a complex here that Cisco, Polycom, and other phone manufacturers should come crawling to them for the privilege of being certified on FreePBX.

It’s not about any complex…
Cisco must want it and provide the solution, I think. And my personal opinion, Cisco must apply the same quality standards to the SIP FW as they apply to their own protocol.
People should stop posting „my Cisco works“, when important features don’t work with Asterisk :wink:

8900 series and 8800 series are completely different!

The devs who write the code (SIP-FW) are the same…

so my original question still hasn’t been answered.

Are there any plans at all for FreePBX/Sangoma to actually certify any cisco phone from this decade?

I just got off the phone with them today actually where they told me that HA isn’t supported anymore. HA was deprecated as of version 14 with no solution in place to offer any real HA functionality.
At every turn this product seems relegated to small offices of 10 people and not for any semblance of enterprise.

What solution? Cisco have released 3PCC versions of their phones which opens the firmware and allows companies like Sangoma to more easily certify the devices with their phone systems. 3PCC phones from Cisco have been out for a few years now, it’s not bleeding edge. With this said, what more do you feel Cisco should be doing? I feel like they’ve done their part, now the Sangoma’s of the world need to do theirs.

I am just a user of freePBX…have been using it for many years…came from Trixbox, where you had to spend several days just to fix severe bugs in the distro before you could use it.
So I think the freePBX project is quite a success!
The new management of Sangoma is brilliant…buying Digium to improve Sangoma‘s hardware portfolio (S-Series phones are inferior phones) and being able to adapt Asterisk to their needs…just great!
Most importantly, Sangoma employs now very capable guys, like Malcom Davenport, …
The future looks bright :wink:
Since all devs at Sangoma might be currently very busy to merge the hard- & software of two companies…and hopefully to improve the integration of the D-Series phones in freePBX, how much time will be left to write a code for Cisco phones with their own extensions to the SIP-protocol?

http://usecallmanager.nz/document-overview.html