Forwarding a caller to a system recording, who comes back after the recording

I’ve tried Google and playing around myself to see if this is possible. It doesn’t look like it but thought I’d ask.

I’m trying to see if there is a way for an extension to transfer a caller to a system recording, who will then be returned to the person who sent them there.

The closest thing I have found is creating an announcement with a destination after playback as a specific extension, and using a misc application to make the extension number. Transferring a call to that extension number will play the system recording/announcement to the caller, but of course they will go to the specific extension set, which would mean needing announcements and misc destinations for each staff member who would use their own misc destination number to forward to, which isn’t practical.

Am I missing a way to achieve this where the call goes back to the person who transferred them?

The only other way I can think is if the staff member calls the recording extension, and then conferences that call in with the caller, but that requires hardware/softphones that support joining calls when not all do, and of course would also need me to incorporate a delay in to the recording.

Thank you.

I don’t think that’s functionality that exists inside of FreePBX out of the box. It sounds like it should be possible by creating a asterisk context.

I would do this with a custom dynamic feature so that the recording is played to the channel(s) without transferring the caller. Then you don’t have to worry about how to get the caller transferred back to the original agent (which is not overly difficult) but also address the edge cases where the original agent doesn’t (or can’t) answer the returned call.

1 Like

Thank you, although that is WAY above my knowledge level. I’m always happy to learn but that might be a bit too much for me, but in the mean time it seems the idea of conferencing in an announcement via misc applications, with that announcement set to hang up after, works reasonably well until I have the patience and time to learn that :stuck_out_tongue:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.