Endpoint Manager - Polycom - Valet Parking works with button type "automata"

endpoint
Tags: #<Tag:0x00007f702caccb20>

(Greg Snover) #1

Ok - Coming back to FreePBX/Commercial Endpoint Manager after being away for a while and I have several customers with Polycom Phones (mostly VVX - Some SoundPoints).

I have gotten used to Valet Parking with my hosted providers and I am also used to it working with Yealink and Grandstream phones on FreePBX - And customers EXPECT it to work.

So I am about to take a customer off Hosted and back to an On-Premise PBX and I am trying to make it work on the Polycom’s with Endpoint Manager - You can’t and TONS of posts here will attest to the frustration other people have in trying to make it work - most have given up, or settled for a sucky Park Button and then BLF’s for the various spots and just hoping you know which button you ended up parked on.

Not believing that it couldn’t be done, I looked at the XML of a Hosted Polycom phone that had the feature and the ONLY difference I could see is the attendant.resourceList.x.type=“automata”.

Surely It can’t be that simple - but it is! Here is what a button looks like configured in Endpoint Manager through the Interface on the phone:

In this config, you can see when someone is parked, but you can’t park there by pressing the button - you get the message “I’m Sorry, but there is no call parked on that extension”

But here is the Magic - Switch the type to “Automata” and the Valet-Parking works PERFECTLY!!!

No other changes necessary - we just need to be able to select Automata as the button type and we are Golden!!!

Why hasn’t this been added to Endpoint Manager??? This has been a working feature on my Hosted Polycom phones for YEARS NOW!

While I wait for an answer, I am going to try and hack the code for Endpoint Manager and see if I can add this option - This really is a missing feature - if it works everywhere else, it should work in FreePBX!

(Greg Snover) #2

Ok - I have a Work-Around until they put that Button in Endpoint Manager as an option - I have tried it with a VVX and it works fine - I will have to go to my office and grab a SoundPoint and try it on that one too, but it works perfectly on the VVX’s:

1. Go into Basefile Edit and pick your Polycom Template and then the model of phone you are trying to edit - You will notice that the Basefile for most of the Polycom’s is the same Basefile - so you will only need to change it once.

2. I tend to put one Line Key (I haven’t needed more on Polycom…) and then 2 or 3 Park keys - do it to your preference, but since we are hard-coding Keys across multiple models, you need to settle on a consistent template for buttons that won’t screw you up across the phones you have.

3. Edit the file MAC-Features.cfg and make the changes I have made here - This is with three Valet-Park Spots:

If you haven’t changed Basefiles before, your changes flow to the bottom of the section they are in and are highlighted in RED so that you can see them - so once you find attendant.resourceList.1.type and change the value, it moves to the bottom of the section - this is normal.

Before you change them, they are set to a template value that is supplied by EPM - we are Hard-Coding them to be automata so that Parking will work.

1. Configure the phone through EPM as follows:

And there you have it - Working Valet Parking with Polycom phones on FreePBX! As soon as the Sangoma people can fix this, we won’t need this hack, but until then it works great!

Call parking problem on Polycom VVX
(Greg Snover) #3

Whoops - Missed the Offset for the first Line Key - If you want three Valet-Park buttons and you are using 1 Line key, here is what it should look like:

(Tom Ray) #4

Isnt the BLF+Transfer still an option? Because that sets the BLF type to automata for Polycoms. Has for years.

Edit: “normal” = speed dial an idle BLF line
“automata” = blind transfer to idle BLF line

(Greg Snover) #5

Well booger - Sure enough and without Basefile Edit - Wish that was more obvious somewhere in EPM - I wasted a lot of time on this

Polycom - Valet Park Retrieval quit working with EPM Update
(Greg Snover) #6

One more side-note to this - go here to get it working with VVX phones:

Polycom - Valet Park Retrieval quit working with EPM Update - Commercial Modules / Endpoint Manager - FreePBX Community Forums

The firmware included in EPM doesn’t work as of now (2021-04-02) - That might change in the future.