Does Asterisk support stereo audio recording for phone calls, and if so, how can it be configured in FreePBX?

I’m currently using an Asterisk system managed through FreePBX and I’ve been exploring the capabilities of call recording. I’m specifically interested in understanding whether Asterisk can record phone calls in stereo format and, if so, what configurations are required in FreePBX to enable this feature.

My main questions are:

1. Does Asterisk inherently support the recording of calls in stereo format?
  2. If stereo recording is possible, what specific settings in FreePBX should be adjusted to activate this feature?
  3. Are there any particular codecs or additional hardware requirements needed to enable stereo recording in Asterisk?
  4. Can you share any experiences or challenges faced while setting up stereo recording?

I’ve tried using the G.722 codec, but it seems the recordings are still mono. Any insights or guidance on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your help!

Normal phone calls are mono!

1 Like

Although you can split the two RX and TX mono channels in asterisk and record them together, that makes them binaural not technically stereo, I don’t think that what you desire can be done natively in FreePBX but