Can't ping phones...extension to extension calling not operating correctly

Ok…we’re putting a new phone system in. We chose FreePBX and Aastra refurbished phones. I put my shiny new Netgear POE switches in (M4100 model) and opted to use the dhcp server on them for the IPs for the phones. I got the passthrough to work (so I can plug a machine into the switch port on the phone) and the phones are pulling an address from the switch. Here’s my issue…

I can’t ping the phones from my workstation and it looks like the configuration isn’t being pulled from the server. No calls can be made (extension to extension (I only have two at the moment to work out the issues). I have the following IP ranges set up…

Production Network 192.168.0.x
Phone Subnet 192.168.5.x
Subnet Mask (for both) 255.255.255.0

I’m sure I’m missing something that’s sitting in front of my nose. Any suggestions?

What’s your server IP address, and where is it plugged in in the network?

Did you do this with VLANs or did you just specify two LANs on the network?

Server address 192.168.0.252. As to the other question…both. The ports are tagged with vlan 100 and the switch is set to auto voip vlan 100 (a feature of the netgear switches). The other subnet was set up due to not having enough addresses in the production network. Reworking the scheme will break site to site vpn to remote sites.

Since the switches have routing capability I’m thinking let the switches handle the routing between subnets.

The switches aren’t probably the problem. You need to make sure the network interfaces on the devices can see across a VLSM of 255.255.248.0 (20 bit subnet mask).

I got the routing sorted out. It was a couple of things.

1. I needed a gateway address on the 192.168.5.x subnet and that had to be configured on the switch.
  2. The static route on my production gateway needed to be set to redirect that way and I can now ping my phones.

Thanks for the assistance.

As a side note…I still can’t dial extension to extension and it doesn’t look like the phones are pulling the correct config from the server. I’ll double check the config…but is there a place in the docs that point to the config of extension

How are you thinking you are supposed to pull the configs? TFTP doesn’t route, so the TFTP has to be on the same network as the phones. DHCP Option 66 should be heling you get everything sorted out.

In Asterisk, there is no such thing as “extension to extension”. Asterisk is a back to back user agent, so all calls are routed and managed through the server. If you aren’t getting the config from DHCP and/or TFTP (or HTTP, or FTP, or whatever), then there’s no way for the phones to know how to connect.

Yeah…I see that. Every machine in the network but the FreePBX server can ping the phones. I don’t get it. No matter what I do…I can’t get the phones to see the server. Routing SHOULDN’T be the issue at the moment as all other machines can ping the phones that are plugged in (including all servers in the same rack as the pbx). Option 66 is set so that shouldn’t be the issue either.

I actually have 2 interfaces set up on the server. One in both networks pointing to their respective gateways.

So…what am I missing?

I would do some packet captures then, both on the server and on the phones, to see if and what traffic is hitting the devices.

Ok…may be a bone headed question…but how do you packet capture a phone?

I’m thinking a reinstall might be easier. Sometimes it’s best to scrap things and start over. :slight_smile:

Ok…so I reinstalled everything to ‘reset’ stuff. I stayed with a dynamic address for now. I can now ping the phones, gatweay, etc on the 192.168.5.x subnet. I set the provisioning to http rather than tftp. I added the current IP address to Option 66 on the phone’s dhcp server. I still can’t call or get a config. I still don’t get what’s wrong. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

From the phone’s GUI there should somewhere be an option to start and export a packet capture.
I am not using Aastra phones so I don’t know how to do it there.

It is probably on the http GUI but I can’t hook up to that from my workstation. Still a routing issue maybe?

Ok…so here’s what I did. I logged on to my switch and disabled the Auto-VOIP stuff and tossed the VLAN 100. Once I did that the phones (using 2 as a test) booted and pulled an address from my DHCP server. They even showed the correct date and time. I then enabled option 66 on the scope and restarted and the extension number showed on the one on my desk. The desk to desk dialed and answered just fine.

So this tells me it is the VLAN and DHCP on the switch. I’ll work on correcting that.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.