Can't Hear Caller after an intermittent period of time

FreePBX 13.0.192.16
Asterisk 13.7.2

We have a treatment that calls back callers using callback after a specified period of time.

exten => ****,n,System(/var/lib/asterisk/bin/callback ${CALL} ${DESTINATION} ${SLEEP} &)

The callback drops them off at an FreePBX IVR to confirm that they are there (“press 1 to continue”). After pressing one, the caller is transferred via misc destination to a queue we have on another non-asterisk PBX. If they do not press one, the call is terminated. This has worked very well until very recently.

We noticed on our FreePBX dashboard monitor, the network bandwidth chart (hourly), normally filled with green bars, goes blank. The chart is there, but there are no bars representing bandwidth consumption. Like there is no network traffic. There are still active calls according to the Asterisk logs.

During this time (dashboard hourly chart shows no network bandwidth) agents that are part of the other PBX queue are reporting that calls they are on with callers, that have come through using the above treatment lose audio, drop, or sound robotic. The bandwidth dashboard begins to show data again, then the reported issues subside.

Any ideas on what may be causing this, or where to begin looking? The CPU and Memory and disk all look normal, just the network chart. Could I be maxing out my available bandwidth? I uploaded some pictures to outline what I am seeing.

Thanks in advance!

I think I’m having the same problem. We are a smaller office but everyone is experiencing the similar issue. We answer the call (doesn’t matter if it is outgoing or incoming) and usually every 2 or so minutes all of the sudden we cannot hear the caller for around 5 to 10 seconds. They can hear us but we cannot hear them. Can anyone shed any light on this or point me in the right direction, please?

I think this was related to maxing out the available MySQL database connections. Upping the max DB connections, or better still, switching from

exten => ****,n,System(/var/lib/asterisk/bin/callback ${CALL} ${DESTINATION} ${SLEEP} &)

Entries to call file entries has resolved this issue. Big kudos to @dicko for helping me piece together the breadcrumbs.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.