FreePBX | Register | Issues | Wiki | Portal | Support

BUG in latest firewall 14.0.3.6 ? - adding ip to Firewall Trusted Zone no longer updates Iptables Firewall Rules on firewall restart

firewall
Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fdf995ef260>

Just started yesterday, if I add an IP to trusted zone, I still cannot access the web gui. If I stop the firewall, I can. The IP I add in not banned.

Any ideas what is going on?

Thanks

So emailed Cyberlynk, they can reproduce the issue. Although fwconsole firewall trust <ip-address> shows that it in fact adds the ip to the trusted zone, the firewall itself does not add it.

this sounds like a new bug.

Even though I ran ‘fwconsole firewall trust 63.28.48.245/32’, I cannot access gui, as the rule does not show up in iptables, BUT,

if I run then this command: iptables -A fpbxnets -s 63.28.48.245/32 -j zone-trusted

I can then get in. Sounds like a bug.

(Rob Thomas) #4

This has always been the way - Adding entries via the command line require a firewall restart (as a malicious entity could potentially be adding a trusted entry). Just run ‘fwconsole firewall stop’ and then ‘fwconsole firewall start’

Forget to mention, I did do a firewall stop and start. This has also been confirmed as an issue by CyberLynk.

I believe it has been confirmed by Frank at CyberLynk, here is the email to me:

"This is very odd. I can see that you added 63.28.48.245 into trusted, but it’s not there in the iptables rules. I did it command line via:

fwconsole firewall trust 63.28.48.245/32
fwconsole firewall stop
fwconsole firewall start

And it’s still not there. I checked and your on the latest version of the System Firewall module. I’ll do some digging on the forum and FreePBX issues system, as I have not seen this one before."

Anybody able to try this against latest module updates? Its a quick test from command line.

fwconsole firewall trust
fwconsole firewall stop
fwconsole firewall start

iptables -L --line-numbers

Look for ‘fpbxnets’ chain, see if that is listed there.

Thanks

I tried adding ip to trusted zone on a backup machine, updated all modules and O/S updates, get same behavior. Iptables does not update.

Anyone else seeing this, I am not sure it’s a bug, or something in my pbx setup, but it just started very recently.

(Lorne Gaetz) #9

I just tested with Firewall 13.0.55.3 [edit - on FreePBX 13] and I have no issues. Using the following steps at the CLI, I successfully white listed an ip:

[root@pbx ~]# fwconsole firewall trust 66.185.28.100
Attempting to add '66.185.28.100/32' to Zone 'trusted' ... Success!
[root@pbx ~]# fwconsole firewall stop
[root@pbx ~]# fwconsole firewall start

after the above I was able to access the PBX where before I couldn’t. I am unable to confirm your report.

Well thanks for the info. I am not sure which firewall version I have, everything is the latest.

I am on plane, and cannot access the pbx right now to check.

Are all your modules the most current?

Thanks for taking the time.

(Lorne Gaetz) #11

I am testing with the latest edge version on FreePBX 13. You may be slightly behind if you are on stable, but you can upgrade with:

fwconsole ma upgrade firewall --edge

I think we use Freepbx 14, I did edge upgrade too, thinking it might help, but it did not. Will check versions post plane ride later tonight.

Worked great until a couple days ago.

Frustrating.

firewall version is: 14.0.3.6

Same issue. If I add custom rules, I can get around this issue, but really seems like a bug.

framework, core and firewall are edge

Sangoma - when is fix expected?

ANYONE out there can confirm this in 14.0.3.6, or not? Thanks

(Andrew Nagy) #14

Sorry but we aren’t able to replicate this

(Dave Burgess) #15

In Userland, I’m not able to replicate it either.

Y, that sucks, as I have no idea then what caused this issue, or how to correct it.

thankfully, custom iptable rules seem to accomplish the same thing, although not as cleanly.

(Lorne Gaetz) #17

Looks like another case emerged, there’s a ticket you ‘watch’ here for auto progress updates:
https://issues.freepbx.org/browse/FREEPBX-17632

Thx for the info, though I think it is somewhat more than a minor bug.

(Andrew Nagy) #19

Priority means nothing.

This issue was bugging me, so I created a bash script that does the following, and responsive firewall is disabled.

For remote users, including travelers, created a noip host that gets checked every 5 minutes, seed the working directory with a file containing the initial ip address of each remote user, add a custom entry in /etc/firewall-4.rules.

Every 10 minutes via cron, query via dig the current ip based on the noip host name, if a difference exists between the seed file and current ip, iptables -A on the ‘new’ ip, and iptables -D on the ‘old’ ip; update the seed file with the new ip. Then update in place the /etc/firewall-4.rules file via sed.

Works well, so far, until the firewall issue is resolved.