Auto answer incoming calls

Understood, you might also want to take a look at conferences and set that it should record the conference, once done you can download the recording from CDR

Haha i am stupidā€¦, well when i try to play the audio file in the VM box the load animation keeps spinning but nothing happens. And I get the vm messages in my mail (in spam) but it only contains information about the duration of the call, but not the actual audio file as attachment.

Call the voicemail vox *98 from another phone or *97 from the same phone.

Thatā€™s because you didnā€™t click yes for ā€œattachā€ next to where you entered your email address.

Hello, sorry for not responding yesterday (the website stopped my from sending more messages). I have set up a conference and it got it working (I can even play the audio file in the CDR). But now I ran in a second problem ;(

Right now I have set the max. participants to 2 people. But what is very possible when using the call recorder app, is that multiple people try to record their call at the same time. So right now only 1 person can record their call in conference. Is it possible to detect if a conference is full and let the ā€˜waitingā€™ person join an empty conference call to record their call?

Also I was looking in to other solutions. And I found an article about someone who setup a recording line. To do so he setup a virtual extension and set it to auto answer. I also donā€™t want to use a device to answer the phone calls, so the virtual extension is indeed the way to go I guess. But I got 1 problem settings this up.

1. I donā€™t have the auto answer option

P.S. are simultaneous calls possible?

So as far as I understand, you want to record interviews over the phone and upload it as a podcast, based on the reference link you posted.
Iā€™d suggest one thing, that instead of you calling them, have them call the conference line, that way you have control to mute the participants etc.

Regarding your issue that if a conference is occupied:
Itā€™s probably doable with custom code.
The other way around it, is to setup multiple conference bridges, setup a IVR which will allow the caller to select a conference bridge, and you or someone else will make sure beforehand that this conference bridge is available.

If you search this or the Asterisk community you might actually find a custom dialplan which allows you to call in, record and save the file once done. That would be the best shot.

I never played with Auto Answer on virtual extensions. Iā€™m not sure if there was ever such an option in FreePBX.

FreePBX allows simultaneous calls, it depends how much channels you got from your provider.

Thank you kindly for your quick response, i will check it out!

See one example here. Not exactly what you are looking for, but try it, let us know if you need help.

I donā€™t really understand the difference between FreePBX and Asterisk. Right now i have installed Raspberry Asterisk, is this the same as Asterisk? because the web interface is FreePBX

I donā€™t know where to edit for example the extension.conf

It would really behoove you to actually understand these things as what you ask for is relatively easy by any of a number of methods if you undrstand what exactly asterisk and FreePBX are and what the interactions are.

Perhaps you can spend a couple of hours reading the WIKI linked to at the top of this page, it might save others having to read extracts of it to you :slight_smile:

Please donā€™t think of this as a criticism, it is just an encouragement to eventually save your (and others) time and effort.

2 Likes

Dicko, yes you have a good point. But I donā€™t want to put lots and lots of time in to this, because i am a software engineer who have my focus on other things. I only need this particular function, i probably donā€™t need anything to do with asterisk etc. in the future anymore.

Needs to go in extensions_custom.conf

hehe, then I donā€™t want to spend lots of time on you, because I too am a software engineer and donā€™t want or need to do your work for you :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hello Itzik,

I found the file and i put the following code in to it:

[zadarma-in]

exten => 102, 1, Answer(50)
exten => 102, 2, Record(call_record%d:ulaw)
exten => 102, 3, Wait(5)
exten => 102, 4, Hangup

Currently I have set the inbound route to extension 102

But when i call the phone number it rings for 2 seconds, and then it stops.

What am I doing wrong? it should answer, record, wait for 5 seconds and then hangup right?

I am very confused by this thread because it just doesnā€™t make any sense.

OK this vidieo means nothing. This is about the iPhone Recorder APP that runs directly on the iPhone. If the goal is to record a call being made/handled over an iPhone then this whole thread is moot because nothing applies to it.

You cannot send a connected call on an iPhone to FreePBX to record the call. All parties involved must be connected to Asterisk. So the agent (person conducting interview) would have to be an extension on the PBX with a connected device (deskphone or softphone app). The caller (person being interviewed) would have to call into the PBX (or vice versa) and then the call could be recorded.

However, the agent cannot take or make a call on their iPhone, hit a button and then be dumped into Asterisk with a connected call for it to record. Thereā€™s just no way to do that. Not with voicemail or conferences or anything. There is just nothing to put a connected call on the system like that. I think Iā€™m being clear with the amount of times Iā€™ve said this.

So if your goal is to build an iPhone Recorder app then youā€™re doing that on the iPhone because it very specific to that model of phone. If this was Android youā€™d being doing this in Android to build the app.

If you goal is to build a call recording app then you need Asterisk and all the calls must terminate or originate from the PBX itself in order to record the call. Of course at this point itā€™s no longer an iPhone Recorder because Asterisk doesnā€™t care about the model of cell phone nor does the make/model of the cell phone have any bearing on the ability to record calls. So then you just have a PBX that is recording calls for you and any device can be used.

So what is the actual goal here? To have an app on iOS or to have a phone system that records calls?

I think you donā€™t really understand the whole concept of an iPhone call recorder. Please check that first, then you will understand why you just canā€™t build a call recorder app for the iPhone. Apple forbids it to directly record calls. Android does not. Thatā€™s why i showed you the videoā€¦

OK then everything else I said applies. How do you plan on getting the call into the PBX right now? What is your method or logic for that?

User in the field calls a voip number. The system that is connected to the voip number answers the call automatically and records it right away. The user in the field adds another person to the call and merge them together. So you have the voip number thats recording, the user in the field and another person in the call. When the user in the field stops the call, the call will be saved in the database.

So the user in the field calls the PBX and then adds another person to the call. How are they adding that person to the call?

Iphone has the ā€œadd callā€ option to add another user to the call, but you to merge them together.

Well, this works if they go to voicemail. It will pick up the other caller on a merged call. However, there are some caveats with this.

Agent is going to call the PBX, end up in their voicemail, then call the other party. This will put the original call on hold to the PBX. During this time it will be dead air, beeps or if they have MoH services on their line/phone it will be recorded. Then after the Agent merges the calls together the recording will stop. However, once the call is over and it doesnā€™t matter who ends the call, the Agent must go back and end their call to the PBX as well.

So at the end of the call, there will be about 45-60 seconds worth of the call that is garbage because in the start of the call itā€™s the call being on hold while the second party is being connected/merged. Then there is the end of the call where the agent has to go back and disconnect their original call because itā€™s still connected.

Iā€™m not sure if youā€™re trying to build something to compete with other iPhone recorder apps or if this is just some internal project so you can record interviews to put them online. If itā€™s the later then why arenā€™t you just calling the person directly through the PBX to record the call? Why canā€™t the agents use a softphone to do this? One call, one recording.

However, if itā€™s the former then Iā€™m not sure how this will pan out against them as the video you showed was pressing a record button then just making a call and boom call is recorded. Which is a lot less hassle then dialing a number, putting it on hold, calling another number, merging the calls and then having to disconnect two calls at the end plus having a chunk of the recording being garbage.