Asterisk Phone Book - Contacts

Hello,

I setup some entries under Admin | Asterisk Phonebook and I can dial the speed dial numbers. How can I get these phonebook entries to display on the phones? It seems to me that the Asterisk Phonebook is not the same as contacts.

What we would like is to have contacts - internal users/extensions and also external contacts (customers, etc.) available on the phones for the users to dial.

Making this show up on a phone is phone model dependent. Every brand will work differently.

I make use of the Contact Manager for this with Yealink Phones. I could do the same for the Asterisk Phone Book, but Iā€™ve never had a client ask for it.

@sorvani - Thanks for that.
We do not have any Yealink phones, we have some Cisco 8841, Cisco SPA504, Digium A30 and Digium D65.

I would have thought that at least the Digium phones could get the contact info imported with native FreePBX.

For the Digium/Sangoma D Series phones use the freePBX contactmanager, and run this script after every change. You have to reload the phones too. I use the Digium phones module.
The script might work for the A series too, if they use the same type of xml file.

1 Like

The ā€œAsterisk Phone Bookā€ is not contact info. It is just a raw interface to Asterisk speed dial setup.

If you want to use ā€œContactsā€ then, as suggested, use the Contact Manager. You call still set speed dials there.

And as you can see if you follow both of our links, the address book format is unique to each manufacturer.

For the Ciscos I use a LDAP server (OpenLdap) and some code, which was originally part of Trixbox ( folder cisco in the www directory), which I adapted to my needs. I think there is some code in the www for LDAP lookup of Ciscosā€¦

mind if I pull that apart and merge it into the style of my Yealink version? I know a guy with digium phones that would likely appreciate it.

Thatā€™s the reason, why I shared it. You are welcome :slight_smile:
I started with a Yealink script anyway ā€¦ maybe it was yours :wink:

1 Like

Digium phones have native support for the Phone Apps, which has an app for contacts.

Phone apps would require the use of EPM. Digium/Sangoma D Series phones work best with the Digium phones module, not EPM. The visual voicemail is far more advanced compared to EPM/Phone appsā€¦last time I checked, several months ago.
I hope that Digiumā€˜s advanced code will be part of EPM in the futureā€¦

I created some ā€œExternalā€ contacts in Admin | Contact Manager but these contacts but the speed dial does not work for these. In the Asterisk Phonebook the speed dial number work as *0nn (speed dial number) but in Contact Manager it seems to indicate that the speed dial numbers are *10nn (speed dial number). However when I attempt to dial *10nn the phone does not dial the number.

The Asterisk speed dial numbers do work when dialing *0nn.

Iā€™m not so sure. All you need to be able to do is set the XML path.

Phone apps require the purchase of the phone apps module though.

Did you disable the Feature code itself under Admin ā†’ Feature Codes? Because it works for me.

I was referring to his comment that in order to use PhoneApps you gotta use EPM.

No, ourā€™s is enabled just as in your image.

Get a call trace, the feature code is likely conflicting with the direct dial to vm.
https://sangomakb.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/SS/pages/31162494/Providing+Great+Debug#Asterisk-Logs---Part-II
My quick fix in conflict cases is to change the speed dial feature code from *10 to **10

Is this what you want to see?

[2020-01-20 11:34:22] ERROR[11862] pjproject: sip_transport.c Error processing 366 bytes packet from UDP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:33342 : PJSIP syntax error exception when parsing ā€˜Call-IDā€™ header on line 5 col -1: PJSIP syntax error exception when parsing ā€˜Eventā€™ header on line 8 col 47:
NOTIFY sip:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx SIP/2.0
Via: SIP/2.0/UDP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:5062;branch=z9hG4bK-some-numbers
From: ā€œRVM 8841ā€ sip:[email protected];tag=5b3-some-numbers
To: sip:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Call-ID:
CSeq: 24022 NOTIFY
Max-Forwards: 70
Event: reserve-trunk;[email protected];expires=0
User-Agent: Cisco-CP-8841-3PCC/11.0.1
Content-Length: 0

ā€“ end of packet.

Sorry about this, I was testing *10nn from my Cisco 8841 and SAP504 phones. The Digium A30 and D65 work properly so I guess this is a Cisco thing.

How can I get the contacts to display on the Digium D65 and A30?