Asterisk 16 and compatibility with FreePBX 14

Hi,

I’m creating a new installation of Asterisk 16 in Ubuntu Server 18.04 (LTS). I’m looking for a version of FreePBX that can run with Asterisk 16 (LTS), PHP 7.2, and MySQL 5.7.

Any suggestions? The FreePBX 15 release is expected for this month?

Thank you

Asterisk 16 is available for 13 or 14. Nothing is PHP7x ready.

Thank you for your answer.
What version of PHP and MySQL is good for Asterisk 16 and FreePBX 14?

Thank you

https://wiki.freepbx.org/display/FOP/Installing+FreePBX+14+on+Ubuntu+18.04

@miao You need to keep in mind now, you’re basically on your own with this. It is a bit hard to support manual installs like this when we can’t guarantee you have all the right pieces and dependencies installed.

These instructions are for the basics, as in, it is enough for you to get the PBX up, running and be able to make/receive calls and register endpoints.

@lgaetz Thank you for your answer.

I know this guide, but I read on top the message that advise about “Manual installations of FreePBX is considered an EXPERTS ONLY exercise. This method of installation is enough to get CORE functionality of FreePBX.

This mean that can I install FreePBX also from dpkg?

Thank you

No it doesn’t mean that. The dpkg is a completely different package that is maintained by someone else. It generally is releases behind what is actually current for Asterisk.

If you are doing a manual install, sure you can use dpkg but again it’s not the supported method even with manual installs.

@BlazeStudios Ok, I understood, thank you.

The nature of the questions raised in this thread make me think you would be better served by installing the distro from the ISO.
https://wiki.freepbx.org/display/PPS/Installing+SNG7+Official+Distro

1 Like

you have to enable app-macro during build on Asterisk 16
14+ generally works with php 7. There are a few tickets in progress. PHP7 is o% supported in commercial modules at this time.

1 Like

Thank you @lgaetz and @jfinstrom for your answer.

Right now I followed this guide: Sangoma Documentation but I’m obtaining at the end of the procedure the error:

“Reading /etc/asterisk/asterisk.conf…Error! Unable to read /etc/asterisk/asterisk.conf or it was missing a directories section”.

This happen after the last command “./install -n” and “asterisk.conf” file exists. I saw that there are other users with same issue, so I will follow other threads, like this: Manual Install FreePBX14,Unable to read /etc/asterisk/asterisk.conf - #7 by tm1000

Thank you so much

Here how I fixed the problem: [SOLVED] Asterisk 16 and FreePBX 14: Error! Unable to read /etc/asterisk/asterisk.conf or it was missing a directories section

I realized this thread is old but I just wanted to point out that you can use PHP 7. You only need PHP 5.4 or 5.6 for commercial modules which won’t work on Ubuntu/Debian anyways.

Then perhaps you should have look at more recent threads.

My comment in 2018 was true in 2018. Now it’s 2020 and things have progressed and changed. Recent threads have covered this.

2 Likes

This thread is one of the first that comes up when doing a google search for compatibility. When it may have started working is besides the point.

FreePBX 15 works with PHP 7.3.

1 Like

PHP 7.3 mostly works with FreePBX 15, but it’s not supported. We have found several PHP 7.3 compatibility issues here recently with FreePBX 15. The good news is that FreePBX 16 will completely support PHP 7.3 and we’re starting work on fixing all of the PHP 7.3 compatibility issues soon!

Are the PHP 7.3 incompatibility issues in the public tracker or your internal tracker?

I also have FPBX 15 working with PHP 7.3 so whatever incompatibilities were found must not be severe enough to require a major new version release to fix. In the mean time, v7.1 is quite adequate. I don’t think there is anything new and exciting enough in 7.3 to warrant a rush to get that working. However, I don’t see any reason why slight incompatibilities cannot be fixed in 15.

Hey Bill

Most of the PHP 7.3 work we’ve got is tracked by internal issues right now. I know this is an area that you have a lot of interest and have done a lot of work on so I’ll see if I can talk with @mbrooks and figure out which pieces we can publicly talk about. A good chunk of the remaining issues (from our side) are on the commercial module side of things too, so those would probably remain internal.

It’d be really great to collaborate with you on these things.

Matt