Add background images to Cisco 7965

Hey there, so I’m real new to this thing and I’d like to know how do I add a background image to a Cisco IP phone, like the 7965G? I’m hosting FreePBX on a Windows Machine that’s running VirtualBox, which runs the PBX system. I’m not in most positions as most other people are at, and I tend to be forgetful and clueless too… Could anyone help please? Thank you

I think that on those phones, the image must be specified on the configuration file that must be downloaded to the phone, but I might be wrong.

I’ve looked at other posts but either don’t understand them or am not as knowledgeable X_X

You have chosen the single hardest phone to configure in the world. People who do this for a living struggle to get these phones working correctly.

Having said that - there’s a setting in the config XML file for your phone that needs to be set to pull the phone-specific image from a web/tftp server to the phone.

1 Like

Could you please show me?

Use an image manipulation program of your choice to create two Portable Network Graphics (PNG) files for each image:

Phone Model Image Size Thumbnail Size Directory
7906 / 7911 95x34 23x8 /Desktops/95x34x1
7941 / 7961 320x196 80x49 /Desktops/320x196x4
7942 / 7962 320x196 80x49 /Desktops/320x196x4
7945 / 7965 320x212 80x53 /Desktops/320x212x16
7970 / 7971 320x212 80x53 /Desktops/320x212x12
7975 320x216 80x53 /Desktops/320x216x16
7985 800x600 not supported /Desktops/800x600x16
8941 / 8945 640x480 123x111 /Desktops/640x480x24

Phone personalization needs to be set to allow the server to push background or ringtones to the phone in the SEPXXXXXXXXXX.cnf.xml of each phone:

<phonePersonalization>1</phonePersonalization>

The Image file is used for the background of the phone display. An additional thumbnail is used as a preview image on the phone settings menu (on 7985 only the filename). The List.xml has to be in the above model-depending directory. The file has a Cisco IPPhoneImage syntax, example:
    <CiscoIPPhoneImageList>
    <ImageItem Image="TFTP:Desktops/640x480x24/sccp-tn.png"
               URL="TFTP:Desktops/640x480x24/sccp.png"/>
    <ImageItem Image="TFTP:Desktops/640x480x24/sccp_2-tn.png"
               URL="TFTP:Desktops/640x480x24/sccp_2.png"/>
    </CiscoIPPhoneImageList>

https://community.freepbx.org/t/7960-7940-logo/13842

Thank you for showing me this, I’d like to inform once again that I’m running a Windows machine which is hosting a virtual machine, which hosts the PBX system, and is also running TFTPD

Additionally, it seems that phonePersonalization isn’t even on the xml, yet ringtones are still pushed, where would phonePersonalization be placed? Or are things like that able to be placed anywhere?

This is why these are so hard to configure. There are pieces and parts of the configuration spread all over the place.

Big oof, but I’m still determined

Phone Personalization may not be supported in the SIP Image, so that might be an SCCP only thing. You only lose the ability to choose backgrounds, so that’s no big deal. The setting for that is in the same stanza as the phonepassword entry.

So directly under or over? Or does that even matter?

Positionality isn’t important within the stanza, but you have to get it in the right stanza.

Not strict with the order in the file, understood. All I know is I got it to register and make/take calls and that’s about it, I’d love to know how to improve TFTP time, make it register a lot quicker, and so forth, but thank you

That’s a lot further than most people get. Good job.

Thank you, I’d be more than happy to give out support to those who need the help for it, in fact, I can even give out the file once I copy it and make a publicly shareable version. But now all I need is to at least get background images to show and if I’m determined enough, I’d love to even make TFTP response quicker

Posting to keep the subject alive, support still needed

I used one of these phones a decade ago and enjoyed it. This thread has inspired a visit to eBay and a rather spontaneous purchase. The XML apps on these are fun. I used to display rotating weather maps like the Weather Channel.

Wow, sounds pretty cool, did you use Cisco phones on FreePBX?

No, it was on Call Manager. No challenge in that. :slightly_smiling_face: