I got an alert from shmooze a couple of days ago saying I was approaching my soft limit on my two SIP trunks with them. I instantly figured I must have been hacked but after a little investigation, I don’t think that’s the case.
The CDR spreadsheet from shmooze showed about nine calls that were each 21600 seconds long (6 hours). They were all from outside numbers I know (family, vendors, etc…) and they were all aimed at the same DID which is directly aimed at my internal extension.
I logged into my freepbx system and saw that the hard drive space was peaked. I deleted all the voicemails for the two accounts we have (mine and my business partner) and the space was back down to 25% or so as it usually is. (I didn’t need to keep them as they’re emailed to us anyhow).
I emailed shmooze and they said they have a 6-hour safety cutoff so that seems to have kicked in here (thankfully).
I think most of the calls were actually voicemails although I never got a giant voicemail emailed to me. They might have been bounced back from my gmail account if they were too big.
I’ve now set the max voicemail time to 5 minutes and tested it and it seems to be working. That might mitigate the problem but I’d sure like to know what else I can do to prevent this from happening.