Zero length files for VPN client setup from UCP ( Sysadmin Pro)

We have two systems with Sysadmin Pro enabled, one is FreePBX 14.0.1.4 and one FreePBX 13.0.192.16, on the 14.x it creates usable VPN client configs, but on the 13.x it only creates 0 length links.

I presume that Sysadmin Pro is compatible with 13.x and though it does provide a path to upgrade to 14.x - i am blocked from doing that on a working system as the upgrade tool is Beta.

Can anyone give me some pointers where i can look at what is and what is not happening here, i have toggled VPN config creation - and done the same with creating a fresh user but the downloads are still zero length - i have tried Chrome/Firefox/Safari toggled VPN with reboot in the middle - all the modules are up to date and the system is current as far as i am aware.

Only thing i can see in the freepbx.log is

[2017-Sep-04 09:04:01] [WARNING] (libraries/modulefunctions.legacy.php:7) - Depreciated Function module_getinfo detected in /var/www/html/admin/modules/cxpanel/functions.inc.php on line 67

every 15 min or so.

and in cup_error.log

{ [Error: MySQL server has gone away] code: 2006 }

/var/www/html/admin/modules/ucpnode/node/lib/freepbx.js:94
                    throw "There was an error with MySQL Connection";^`             ^^jThere was
                    ^^`There was an
    There was an error with MySQL Connection

With no time stamp but when i try and download the clientx.zip i do not see new entries in the ucp_err.log.

I am unsure where to go to troubleshoot this issue, but the 13.x system is live and needs the VPN whilst the clean 14.x system is a testbed and a product of a failed attempt to upgrade from 13.x which stops me even thinking of updating the live system with the beta too.

running fwconsole validate gets into a loop… finds a log - deletes the log - finds a log etc etc. the various custom.conf files are empty - or at least empty post copy.

[root@myhost asterisk]# fwconsole validate
Downloading...
============================
This script will check your system to the best of it's ability
It should not be relied upon for complete validation
Every hack is different. This just tries to discover and clean them up as best as possible
Continue with this action?y
Scanning All files...
 [============================] 7 secs
Found /var/www/html/admin/modules/cxpanel/main.log that shouldn't be there?

System must be cleaned up before proceeding to the next step. Run this script with the argument '--clean' to attempt cleanup
[root@myhost asterisk]# fwconsole validate --clean
Downloading...
This script will check your system to the best of it's ability
It should not be relied upon for complete validation
Every hack is different. This just tries to discover and clean them up as best as possible
Continue with this action?y
Scanning All files...
Scanning All files...
 [============================] 7 secs
Found /var/www/html/admin/modules/cxpanel/main.log that shouldn't be there?
        Purged File
Purging PHP Session storage
        Moving potentially compromised file /etc/asterisk/manager_custom.conf to /tmp/freepbx_quarantine/manager_custom.conf
        Moving potentially compromised file /etc/asterisk/sip_custom.conf to /tmp/freepbx_quarantine/sip_custom.conf
        Moving potentially compromised file /etc/asterisk/extensions_custom.conf to /tmp/freepbx_quarantine/extensions_custom.conf
Connecting to the PBX...Connected
Finished

I ran fwconsole chown with no errors

This IS an upgrade from a previous version using backup and restore.