Where do I find the Asterisk Internal IP Address with this new GUI?

I apologize for this painfully noob question, but…
Where do I find the Asterisk Internal IP Address with this new GUI? Need it for a softphone configuration.

I saw online that the old interface had it as plain as day, but I am clearly missing something somewhere with this new interface.

Thank you for your patience.

If you are logged into the GUI to see the address would you not already know the address since you had to type it in to get to the GUI?

Hi Alan,
No, my developer set it up on an Amazon EC2 instance where all I have to do is type my dynamic IP address along with the port number in the browser.

That takes me to the main screen that has a link to “Voicemail and Recordings (ARI)” and a link to “FreePBX Administration” right beneath it. When I click on the FreePBX Administration link, it takes me to the main login screen where I input my username and password.

After successful login, I see the GUI.

I see. Can you ssh into the system?

Yes, I can access the installation via SFTP.

SFTP is not an SSH login to the shell.

I am not sure how to determine the IP of the EC2. Normally I would just login to the box and look at how the interfaces sere configured.

Look at “Include Server Name in Browser” in the advanced settings. You might have to turn on the hidden stuff.

Thanks for your input, Alan.

I am going to ask my developer to find out that way. We are trying to connect the Counterpath Softphone to Asterisk. Asterisk, but apparently I am putting in the wrong internal (local) ip address because it isn’t working.

Sigh.

if you goto Settings > Asterisk SIP Settings and click the auto configure button - does that show you it?

What happens when you go to the JAVA SSH Terminal?
Can you log in there and then do an ipconfig?

*ifconfig

Yeah…ifconfig.

sorry Bill, was just teasing the typo.

I don’t think that you will be able to determine the external IP of the system with ifconfig. This is an Amazon EC2 virtual server. It has private internal addresses that are not visible from the internet and it has public addresses that are basically NATed.

Dam to microsoft for making it ipconfig on windows.

I might be wrong but isn’t the dynamic IP you mentioned the public IP we are all talking about?

If you can reach FreePBX Admin on that IP, that means the server is there (NATed), since FreePBX is running on the same server. So that’s your IP.

As long as it is set up to always work with the IP you are typing in, you don’t care about the exact public/private addresses.

Hi Darkod,
you are absolutely right. The dynamic IP address is the public IP address and my developer says that it is NATed here.

My developer did provide an internal IP address that started off with 10. (rather than (192.)

Hmmm… this is weird; the softphone won’t connect to the Asterisk server whether we use the dynamic ip address provided or the internal IP address the developer found with the ifconfig.

We are using Eyebeam (the paid version of XLite) by Counterpath.

When I contacted Counterpath support, they suggested I check the internal IP address again.

Looking at the sip.conf files, it’s set up to work with Anveo.com because they are my SIP trunking and DID provider.

With me…It’s a wonder it came out as closely as it did.

I wonder if you could do a “route” command and see anything?

BF

You need to know the NATed address that is presented to the Internet. 192. and 10. addresses are private address space and NEVER get routed to the Internet.

Probably the simplest thing to do is ask whom ever set it up for you what the public IP address is.

I apologize because I am painfully new to all of this. The NATed public IP address is definitely the dynamic IP address.

So, softphones don’t need an internal IP address for setup?

The current setup is that I have is this: I bought a DID number from Anveo.com. These SIP registration details are in my Asterisk sip.conf files.

Then, I added the SIP trunk information in FreePBX.

I am wondering now if I need to register the SIP device with the same username and password I was given from Anveo rather than creating a unique username and password like what has been instructed in online tutorials.

Does the status of the SIP Trunk in FreePBX say connected or similar?

For the phone, you will need to create one extansion in FreePBX. Then you will need to configure the phone with that username and password that you entered when creating the extension.

Also, since your server is hosted, you need to be sure that port 5060 is allowed through any firewall that might be in front of the server, and that the port is forwarded to the private IP of the server on the inside network where it is.

Maybe they set up only the port you use to access the FreePBX Admin, and not any other ports? When your phone looks for the dynamic/public IP, it will reach the outside interface where the server is hosted. If port 5060 is not forwarded to your server, the phone will never reach it and authenticate with the extension login details.