What would you like to see added in FreePBX 15?

I would really love to see a multi-tenant solution under the Sangoma/FreePBX banner.

I 2nd/3rd/4th having faster turnaround for firmware in EPM on common brands (Yealink/Cisco/Polycom/Snom).

I’d also like to see some easier Sangoma-backed methods to get the official distro on AWS and other hosting providers.

Thanks!

1 Like

AI, IOT, TTS are good features.

Given the amount of Caller ID spoofing that takes place nowadays if would be great to have some enhanced blacklist / whitelist capabilities, particularly user-specific blacklists and whitelists. So when a call comes in, it could be routed to any of three different destinations, depending on whether the call is blacklisted, whitelisted, or neither. Generally you’d want to reject the call if it’s blacklisted, pass it through if it’s whitelisted, and maybe apply some type of “I’m a human” test if it’s neither (maybe require the caller to enter a random pair of digits or something). Also the ability to blacklist/whitelist using dial patterns rather than just individual numbers, and to blacklist by Caller ID NAME would be helpful. If nothing else, it would be at least be helpful if you could specify the blacklist check context for each inbound route, so that by default it would use the built-in blacklist logic but you could change that to use a custom context, in much the same way that the default context for extensions is set to from-internal by default but can be changed under the advanced tab.

The existing blacklist logic is pretty limited and hasn’t changed much since the inception of FreePBX, meanwhile the junk callers have figured out that people can block individual numbers so they spoof the numbers of other people at random. In the past month I have got calls from two different angry people claiming I had just called them when I hadn’t, and similarly I’ve received junk calls that appear to come from numbers the same as mine except for the last two to four digits. So it appears the existing blacklist capabilities are no longer adequate to stop the junk callers.

3 Likes

As a separate request, please give us desktop computer users a way to avoid the tabs at the tops of pages and display all of the settings for an extension, route, etc. on the same page. I know that some users, and particularly mobile device users, may find the tabs helpful, but for many desktop computer users they are a real nuisance at times.

add a module to support kamailio .

2 Likes

First off, i want to start by thanking the FreePBX/Sangoma developers, it’s been three years since i was first introduced to FreePBX and the experience just becomes better every day. so Thank you guys!!

So here’s my suggestions…

Administration
I believe there’s two ways how to setup admin access 1. through the Administrators Module, 2. through User management.
I think that most PBX admins will agree with me - if you give your client full access to their PBX you’ll probably end up in more trouble than opening your PBX to the world wide web…
So we had many times clients asking,"Why can’t i change a extension name on my own? Why can’t you give me access to reset voicemail passwords?"
So here’s the problem: no. i don’t want to give access to the Extension Module, a client that has access to that module and he thinks he knows what he’s doing he’ll only mess up badly.
Therefore, if there would be an option to restrict access withing a module it would make our admin life much easier… I would give access to things like, making extension name changes, same access to voicemail & follow me as a end user has in UCP etc, and not more than that… (maybe also to set a outgoing CID number)

Backup

• If possible to add some advanced config to keep the channel alive when saving to a remote FTP, especially with large files and not the fastest speed.
  • God i wish there would be a way to dump a backup on a local Windows Machine…

Bulk Handler

Would be nice if import/export all config from mdules that can have multiple entry’s, such as Queues/RingG Groups/SetCID/Misc Destinations, etc. it just makes it easier when migrating.

Class of Service
I believe tons of people asked it in the past - being able to block extension to extension.

Feature Code Admin
Custom Feature Code Groups, meaning: if i have 3 time conditions or call flow control with feature codes which allows remote changes in case of weather or emergency closing, you should be able to have a parent feature code that would change the state of it’s child feature codes.

User Management
Adding a FQDN which will be displayed in emails that are being sent to users instead of the PBX IP

Ring Groups/Queues
A BLF key to monitor Queues or Ring Groups and be able to press that key to take the call.

UCP
This module is a blessing. but i wish it would had the following features:

• Contacts: Allow user access to edit/add contacts for public contact groups.
    Allow user to sync contacts with Google or Microsoft.

• Voicemail: User should be able to create/rename folders.
    Retrieve accidentally deleted voicemail’s (maybe voicemails shouldn’t be permanently deleted before 5 days? or recycle bin idea?)
    Enable/Disable temporary greeting in UCP.

• A wish UCP would allow more call control, such as answering, transferring, placing on hold, Queue Login/Off.

• Would also be nice to have a widget which allows a user to change feature codes state they have access to.

• Finally, remote access:
    I saw it mentioned earlier, but i think we all need this!
    I know that it’s a security risk, but DDNS VPN or 2 Factor Auth would eliminate “public access”.

(In fact, we built a custom application that connects to the PBX using Asterisk User Manager which pulls Queue Data, Extension Data Etc, this displays a public webpage and authenticated users can Login/Off from Queues, it monitors extensions, becomes red when talking, blinks when ringing, green when free etc. it also has a Queue call history log with caller information, call duration, and who answered the call. nothing more than that.
This is a public webpage for the last 2 years, if it’s 100% secure? probably not, but other than logging in/off from the Queue you have zero control on the PBX. and i believe that it can be more secured.
We made this application, for a client that has a emergency dispatch line - all cellphone users, and they had to be able to login/off remotely at their dispatching shifts. Having UCP as a app on a mobile phone, or mobile supported webpage would help users like these… )

Also, placing calls externally would be much easier, just enter a phone number, press originate > rings your FM number, once you pickup it rings the number you entered… a wish.

Alerting:
Would be nice to have alerts when asterisk stopped, or failed to start.
Also be able to set alerts for important extensions when it becomes unreachable.

That’s it for now…

I know that not everything is possible, but i’m just airing some requests iv’e collected over the time.

Thanks again for delivering such a powerful PBX.

4 Likes

Better TTS default engines. Flite is Flite, but what about defaulting to Pico TTS? I know there is a forum post on it, but the Polly integration is amazing and super cost-effective compared to the old-guard solutions from Nuance, Cepstral, etc. It would be nice if there was a module that made it easy to add the Amazon, Microsoft, IBM, Google TTS offerings.

Also in the same regard ASR. This would add tremendous utility to our offerings.

Thanks!

2 Likes

+1 :slight_smile:

1 Like

Separation of the web server and Asterisk. I would like to have a data/control layer and a VoIP engine layer on separate machines. To extend the idea, a sort of multi-tenant where my FreePBX machine can control separate and unique Asterisk machines for different customers (maybe a customer / machine name pull-down in the UI similar to FusionPBX).

1 Like

Something else:

An easier way to modify the hidden default template that controls the default values for a brand of phones that won’t get wiped by each EPM module update. Right now I am manually modifying the default template in MySQL and it works great but knowing the changes won’t change and its easier would be fantastic!

2 Likes

I would love both of these things. I requested this once in the past and was told these folders are an Asterisk thing, not a FreePBX thing, however.

2 Likes

The building blocks exist in Asterisk to build your own voicemail application. FreePBX could do this or users could do it themselves. But if you are using the stock “Comedian Mail” then there’s very little flexibility.

2 Likes

Thanks for asking!

1. Call Recording Reports should offer a better way to download archives. If the file is too large giving the root level address is not helpful for end users who want to manage the download.

2. Adding multiple extensions at once without having to use the bulk handler would be great.

1 Like

Given the growth in spam calls, I would like to see the BlackList module turned into a robust, manageable application. More status data recorded and displayed, more editing ability and any other suggestions which are submitted. Maybe even submissions to one or more spam databases.

2 Likes

On a familiar note, I am still hoping for an topic driven help subsystem along the lines of the legacy systems I have built, but implemented using the current tools underlying Asterisk/FreePbx which have moved beyond my skills. IMHO would explode FreePBX into mainstream use.

1 Like

Base level version of EndPoint Manager with template building tools as Open Source module with option to subscribe to plugin provisioning packages of various kinds for those wishing to use ready made or advanced provisioning.

2 Likes

Better/easier/open SMS integration for providers other than SIPStation.

Having SMS functionalities available as they are within FreePBX and UCP is great, but SIPStation isn’t an option for everybody and as it stands there’s no easy path to use SMS as provided by MANY other providers.

Fine with leaving it to either the SIP provider to provide an interface module or for the FreePBX owner to write one themselves to translate between what the provider requires and what FreePBX requires… but open up and document the API so that it’s easy to do so, maybe provide a blank/sample module as a starting point.

8 Likes

I wasn’t happy to have to install node.js to run UCP in 14, for whatever reason. I have been reminded (many times!) that my use of the project is out of the ordinary, but I’d really like to see things stay as light as possible. Running in a VM with 512 MB of memory is easy with 13, not so much with 14 if I want UCP.

+1 for improved IPv6 support.

1 Like

UCP requires nodejs because of the instant server parts we moved into ucp from ucp node. If you don’t want to install node js then you don’t have to install ucp or pm2. There are other services and daemons we will be adding in the future in regards to ARI (think replacements of queues and voicemail apps) in this area as well but I would strongly suggest looking into 1GB of ram for your machines. It’s especially cheap these days and even pi’s have 1GB of ram. As we move into the future of 15 and 16 less and less we be able to run on 512mb of ram