What is the impact of losing activation?

I have an already activated Sangoma appliance 500 box (on FreePBX distro 10.13.66-20). I suspect that adding an additional NIC (which will end up being the new default route to the internet) will cause the deployment ID to loose it’s activation and need to be reactivated.In reading the other threads regarding the activation I can’t find what the actual impact is of losing the activation to the running system. Any impact on calls or users? Does it just hamper the administrator dealing with commercial module changes or does it cease the commercial modules from functioning?

Thanks,

Brian

I think it keeps your commercial modules from functioning or from adding new ones. The system should still process calls as it had been.

Just went through that, I added a dual NIC card and used up all my zend resets. But I found out today that is may also reset on the IP. I shipped a box to our west cost office that was working fine here, I added a NIC and lost activation so i just deleted the deployment and created a new one since i didnt have any purchased modules. I changed the IP on the box to match their IP scheme and powered it down and shipped it. just had them install it last night and it came up deactivated. So no hardware changed just its physical location and IP addresses…go figure
Robert

Gotta loved Zend, NOBODY understands it and it’s expensive to everyone yet only works on a limited set of hardware, go figure . . . .:wink:

That is incorrect. Changing IP will NEVER effect Zend or licensing. It knows nothing about your IP. It’s all hardware driven. You sure they did not use a different ethernet port as the primary gateway device to the internet.

1 Like

But is DOES know about the MAC address of your interfaces, and probably other things also, linux can easily spoof a mac address but “cloned” VM’s with presumably a “spoofable” and cloned MAC address not so much , the identifiable entropic identity of a “machine” is the expensive bit , and one I won’t accept but the notorios G729 licenses have no problem with . , who really knows when THEY will get penetrated ? . . . . . and at what cost of time and money does the licensee have to spend to recover from such a failure?. (yes that currently in the “news” and no it ain;t ‘fake’

Also I really don’t see the logic of charging twice the fee plus the licenses of , for example a HA license itself, when by definition, only one instance will use any of them at any point in time, Go figure . . .

1 Like

That doesn’t matter. Adding network hardware if the machine is already activated will not affect the licensing.

i’ll have to disagree on that I added a NIC to mine and lost activation when i configured it.

1 Like

If you add a NIC Zend sees that as a hardware change and you loose your license and you have to eat your hardware lock in our portal but again just changing a IP will.never cause this.

1 Like

i can’t explain it then. my California was activated with a new deployment number a few days before being shipped, i rebooted it several times without issue. I reset it’s IP settings to match my remote office and shut the server down and shipped it. They hooked it up late Thursday for me and i connected to the GUI and I say it was deactivated. no hardware changes were made. just its IP and it’s physical location. So i can’t explain it. I did have it deactivated after adding a 2nd NIC but since i didn’t have any purchased modules I just deleted it in the portal and created a new one, if that helps.
Robert

The only thing I can see that would cause this is you were using 1 interface at your office and they are using a different interface at the final location now. As the ZendID we use is tied to the MAC not the IP and it ties to the current active MAC

Good point there, Tony.

i can’t say they didn’t plug the network cable into the 2nd port as they are 2000 miles away, all i can say is the network is plugged into the NIC i set up for their lan and the default gateway goes through it and no hardware changed.
here is my question for sangoma, you sell boxes with multiple NICS all setup. How can a customer who may have different lans plugged into it not get their system deactivated when they reboot? I will soon be it that configuration, 1 for my internal, 1 for an openvpn setup and one for my sip trunk coming in from my provider. and as with my california server no hardware has changed for a month now and i just had to get a reset because all mine were used up.

sorry, I just wanted to say that i am just trying to understand the process and not cause any confusion.
Robert

As long as the interface that is used for the default gateway doesn’t change your license should not be affected.

1 Like

sorry if i am a bother. if my hardware and my MAC’s are the same why does it matter which has the default gateway?

For the newbies (me included) is there a best practices document anywhere for the systems that have several interfaces. I just added them and applied the normal IP address stuff as i do on all my windows boxes, which may be my problem, trying to learn Linux on the fly and setup a FreePBX system so we can trash our NEC system…which sucks.

It’s not our decision. It’s how Zend Guard works which is the php license software put out by the company behind php.

just thought of something, and i just logged in to my california server and verified my second interface was set to 192.168.210.10 as a place holder till i get the real address and my lan is 172.20.x.x so there was no way it could route if they plugged the main lan in to that interface, ther router/firewall would have dropped it. now i am totally confused

Just curious, but if your servers are clustered, or virtual servers that can move around between different esxi platforms, transparently, while they are running… What happens then?

I mean what does it even mean to activate “a server”. My Exchange cluster for example can never be pinned down to one physical computer, mac address, or hardware. When I do maintenance on one data-center, services may get shifted to an alternate location. They may even exist in multiple locations simultaneously.

That’s another one of the many reasons I never use software activation schemes.

Sorry but we do have to protect our IP and we do this by locking down license to a system. That is the beauty of the system. Nobody forces you to use commercial add ons.