What DHCP server is used by PBXact

I am running a 100 extension PBX (12.7.6-1904-1.sng7 ) and we recently switched over to the built in DHCP server. We have since experienced DHCP timeouts on numerous phones.

What DHCP server does PBXACT use?
Where are the configuration files located?
Where are the logs kept?

DNSMASQ

/etc/dnsmasq.d/* (IIRC, I don’t have access to one of these from here). If that fails, look for /etc/dnsmasq.conf

/var/log/messages for most of the DHCP logging stuff.

Thank you!

For those that follow:

PBXact uses /etc/dnsmasq.conf that also points to /etc/asterisk/dnsmasq.conf

lease time is 1hour (this would be nice to be able to change from the web inferface)
by default the server is limited to 150 leases!

lease info is stored in /var/lib/dnsmasq/dnsmasq.leases

The DHCP server in System Admin is not at all feature rich and is intended for small installs of isolated networks where a single appliance is all that’s practical. As a matter of practice, I would rely on an external DHCP for most installs.

2 Likes

This does not relate directly to your question, but wanted to share the setup I put in place for our PBX.

I left the DHCP server option turned off in the PBX and left it doing ONLY PBX-related tasks. I took two old PCs and installed Lubuntu on them and configured BIND to provide DHCP for all the VLANs in our network, forwarding DHCP requests through to these machines using our edge device. Because I have two machines, I have to change the file on both whenever making changes/additions, but this type of setup has worked perfectly thus far. If either machine dies or is taken down, the other handles all DHCP requests automatically. I also set them up to serve NTP via OpenNTPd and a bunch of other stuff. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.