Warm Spare Question

Hey!
I have 2 FPBX servers, 1 active, and 1 on standby - using keepalived daemon.
I have same extensions, and trunks enabled on warm spare restore, though no conflict as keepalived stops asterisk (fwconsole stop) when in slave mode, and enables on master - all this works fine, I get restore done…
until I looked at my warm spare ( stand-by server). there are no extensions or trunk groups configured when restore api runs when asterisk on (warm spare server) is not running.

My question is, is there no way to run restore when asterisk is stopped? it would seem that these are just asterisk configuration files? otherwise is it possible some other way ( that would not be to time consuming, I tried fwconsole backup --restore $latest, with just CF,CW,Conference,confPro,core,directory,disa,fm,firewall,ivr,presence,q,rg,tc,ucp,user-mgmt,vm- benchmarked at 40 seconds)?

Warm spare is an additional server that has all the configuration you choose to backup/restore on the warm spare.
In order to use warm spare, you need to provision the phones with a secondary SIP Server.
Sangoma phones will fail over to the WS only once the primary is dead, Yealink and some other brands always have a connection to both servers, but will only place outbound calls on the secondary if the primary is down, meaning, that there’s much less of a downtime if you are using Yealink.

In terms of the Trunk, most SIP providers allow you to setup a failover address, so you can have both Trunks enabled at all times, but calls will only be processed on the secondary trunk if the primary is offline.

One tip, don’t include voicemail in the warm spare backup, it will only confuse users in an event of failover.

The warm spare solution works great and if setup properly, there’s really nothing to do in order to “get up and running” on the warm spare.

With that being said. That’s how we setup FreePBX 13 & 14. I know v15 Warm Spare works differently and we don’t have a v15 WS yet. So I cannot comment how that works.

V14 and lower: https://wiki.freepbx.org/display/F2/Warm+Spare+Setup
V15: https://wiki.freepbx.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=185631299

I guess I wasnt clear on the focus of my question,

My needs are to have a failover without intervention.

That being said, I know that pretty much every sip client has failover options, for incoming GS doesn’t have both active(I have registration set for 30 seconds). And not every trunking service does, PJSIP would solve this issue for outbound calling but for incoming, the setup I have is that I registered 2 IPs with my carrier, and only one has asterisk running, if I would have both servers running the call would be answered by whichever pbx picks up first.

That is why I need to stop asterisk on secondary server.
But that leads to the problem of fpbx restore not actually restoring, rather wiping all extensions and trunks.

Does noone see a issue with warm spare restore having a false positive? Shouldn’t it work?

Does your carrier not support failover like primary and secondary server to try? Almost everyone does. Thinq, VI, Vitelity. As long as you use IP based authentication. Then the backup server only recieves calls if the primary is down.

Secondly for devices SRV records are an option or DNSmadeeasy can failover DNS in 1 minute. If your carrier supports a.records like Thinq this is an option as well.

The carrier does not support failover, though perhaps dynanmic dns would be supported… though that would be more of a workaround, I was wondering if there was perhaps a more straight forward answer. I’m not knowledgeable in freepbxs backup and restore, or API, so I’m not sure if I can label this a bug ( though a false positive is definitely).

There is a commercial version of the warm spare solution that does failover automatically and stops Asterisk on the primary server when backup server takes over: