VPN and EPM Issue

FreePBX: 16.0.33 / Asterisk: 18.9-cert / sysadmin 16.0.31.1 / endpoint 16.0.77.1

I have both of the paid versions of sysadmin and EPM. Recently I needed to enable and use the VPN service to assign to some of the Yealinks in production (T54W). I created a user manager group and enabled the “VPN auto create links” option. I assigned it to one user, but it never creates the client under the VPN service tab. Ok fine, I manually create one and enable it. I go back to the user I need this assigned to, and select that client in the “Define Additional Clients” section under the VPN tab. I then proceed to EPM and change the phone built to the user and select the VPN client in the dropdown and save/rebuild config files.
Now it puts in the proper vpn url in the config file, so the phone does download and apply the vpn correctly. The VPN shows connected, and from the phone, I can ping the primary VPN server (10.8.0.1). However, rebuilding the config after applying the VPN client, the sip server host field in that config file is blank. Instead of it being populated with 10.8.0.1, it’s simply just blank. If I remove the vpn client assignment and rebuild, the sip server then shows correctly in the new config file, pointing to the FQDN of the server. I didn’t see any settings in the EPM related to the VPN. Is there something I’m missing? I have tried several VPN service restarts, both in the GUI and CLI (sudo systemctl restart openvpn@sysadmin_server1.service).

I’m testing with endpoint ver. 16.0.79.5 and while I can’t test with a device, I can confirm that when enabling the vpn, the cfg file is updated to use the PBX vpn IP for sip registration:

# grep 10.8 000000000000.cfg
account.1.sip_server_host = 10.8.0.1
account.1.outbound_host = 10.8.0.1
account.2.outbound_host = 10.8.0.1
account.3.outbound_host = 10.8.0.1
account.4.outbound_host = 10.8.0.1
account.5.outbound_host = 10.8.0.1
account.6.outbound_host = 10.8.0.1
account.1.sip_server.1.address = 10.8.0.1
account.1.backup_outbound_host = 10.8.0.1
account.2.backup_outbound_host = 10.8.0.1
account.3.backup_outbound_host = 10.8.0.1
account.4.backup_outbound_host = 10.8.0.1
account.5.backup_outbound_host = 10.8.0.1
account.6.backup_outbound_host = 10.8.0.1

Ok, I just updated to that same version, endpoint 16.0.79.5 and tried it again, but I still have the same result:

account.1.sip_server.1.address =
account.2.sip_server.1.address =
account.3.sip_server.1.address =
account.4.sip_server.1.address =
account.5.sip_server.1.address =
account.6.sip_server.1.address =
account.1.outbound_host =
account.2.outbound_host =
account.3.outbound_host =
account.4.outbound_host =
account.5.outbound_host =
account.6.outbound_host =
account.1.backup_outbound_host =
account.2.backup_outbound_host =
account.3.backup_outbound_host =
account.4.backup_outbound_host =
account.5.backup_outbound_host =
account.6.backup_outbound_host =

I don’t get it.

So the fix for me was deleting the client config in the VPN server and recreating a new one. I still had to manually assign it to the user, and then assign it in EPM, but now when I grep the config for the server, it now shows 10.8.0.1.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.