Voicemail to Email problem

I’m not sure if this is the right forum for this question but I’ve posted it over at the Trixbox forum and haven’t had much luck.

We have a Trixbox CE setup that was in place before I came to work for the company I’m at now, so I’m not super familiar with how it’s setup. We recently changed to another email host and the voicemail to email function is no longer working. It has to do with the new host because it will still send out to a different account, such as a yahoo.com account. I had the host check it out and problem is that the email is sending via what I’m assuming is an internal mail server from the trixbox. The name of the trixbox ends in .local so our mail host doesn’t see it as a fully qualified domain name and rejects it.

What I need to do is setup our system to send out mail by authenticating with our mail system rather than an internal mail server. I’m really not sure how to do this. I’ve seen a brief how to on the trixbox site, but not being familiar with Linux I didn’t get very far.

Does anyone have any advice on the easiest way to do this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I don’t know when they switched to postfix, but at some point they did. Anyway, I wrote this:

http://www.trixbox.org/node/28002

Which tells you how to set this up with sendmail. I don’t know if that’s the one you saw or not, but it tells you how.

If you can’t get past that, PM me.

There is a reason for that.

Anyway, it sounds like you’re a little unfamiliar with how mail works, and that’s OK, but you’re going to need to provide some information for us to help you.

What do your logs say, and do you know what version of trixbox CE you’re running? Do you know if you’re running Sendmail or Postfix?

Thanks for the reply! I’ll be glad to get you any information you need. We are running Trixbox CE 2.6.1. I believe we are using sendmail. Based on the documentation I read on the Trixbox forum I checked the sendmail.mc for settings. Here’s what they are:

[trixbox1.localdomain ~]# tail /etc/mail/sendmail.mc
dnl #
dnl FEATURE(masquerade_entire_domain)dnl
dnl #
dnl MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(localhost)dnl
dnl MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(localhost.localdomain)dnl
dnl MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(mydomainalias.com)dnl
dnl MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(mydomain.lan)dnl
MAILER(smtp)dnl
MAILER(procmail)dnl
dnl MAILER(cyrusv2)dnl
[trixbox1.localdomain ~]#

I know the problem is that it is set to localhost.localdomain I just don’t know enough about it to know what to change and what it will effect. I don’t want to do anything to “break” our phone system because I don’t know how to fix it :slight_smile:

Just let me know which logs would be helpful and I’ll get those for you.

Thanks again!

I know I said PM me, but this is better.

[quote=chuskey]Thanks so much for your help on this. I’ve taken a look at the post you put up on the trixbox site and it’s very informative. I have a couple of questions if you could help me with I think I can get this done. One very basic question to get out of the way is how do you get in to edit the file? I didn’t see an edit command when I was at the command line.
[/quote]

If you’re going to be doing this a lot, I highly recommend you learn to use vi, which is an editor available on any Unix system. However, I get the impression you want to do this and forget about it, which in that case you can try to use pico if it’s installed. That’s the problem and is why I kept it generic in that how-to – you never know what’s available to someone.

That’s just the very end of your sendmail.mc. Once you edit it you’ll see that there’s much more to it.

No, you’ll remove the dnl from in front of the one that’s there. Just follow the instructions.

It stands for “delete until end of line” – think of it as a comment. Removing the “dnl” uncomments the line.

No.

[quote] I’m guessing at the least I need to alter them.
[/quote]

No. Not for what we’re talking about. They do other things.

All of this information is available online. I know it’s hard to wade through it sometimes, but I can’t give detailed sendmail lessons every time someone asks a question. :slight_smile:

You don’t copy the mc to a cf, you compile the mc into a cf. M4 takes the mc file and compiles it into the actual configuration file that sendmail uses. Don’t try to wrap your brain around it if you don’t have to, but again: if you want to you can stuff some search terms into google.

It’s a wiki and I didn’t add that part. That has nothing to do with what I’m talking about. That’s a configuration file for Asterisk and has nothing to do with the sendmail subsystem (directly.)

I can’t tell you how much I appreciate the help! I’ll probably get into trying this in the next couple of days if I can get caught up here at the office. I should be able to get it going with your instructions.

Thanks again!