Voicemail to Email Notifications - Forwarded and Lengthy Messages

PBX Firmware: 6.12.65-30

Which file(s) controls to message body for forwarded voicemail to emails and also for the auto generated emails that lengthy voicemail message has been left for you. I would like to format the text to be a bit more readable for our end users. See the two below examples.

Long Message Email Received
Dear General Mailbox:nntjust wanted to let you know you were just left a 49 long message (number XXXXXXXXX-00006ea7)nin mailbox
8902 from “ADV-XXXXX” , on Wed May 10 10:27:26 PM UTC 2017, so you mightnwant to check it when you get a chance.
Thanks!nntttt–Asteriskn

Forwarded Message (forwarded via UCP)
Dear 7942-EPM2:nntjust wanted to let you know you were just left a 3 long
message (number XXXXXXXX-0000000b)nin mailbox 107 from “7942-EPM” <103>,
on Wed Dec 7 05:18:53 PM UTC 2016, so you mightnwant to check it when you
get a chance. Thanks!nntttt–Asteriskn

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Bumping to see if anyone out there has information on where to find this info.

Thanks!

Hi!

I think it’s voicemail.conf (at least for the first question) but why don’t you use the FreePBX gui to edit this?

It’s somewhere in the Settings (advanced?) but I can’t dig it up at this time as I don’t have access to my box…

Good luck and have a nice day!

Nick

Settings menu -> Voicemail Admin menu item -> Settings tab -> Email tab

1 Like

Thanks for the quick response guys!

Unfortunately in V12 we don’t seem to have an Email tab but only a field called “emailbody” where we can input the generic voicemail body message for emails (see below).

${VM_NAME},\n\nThere is a new voicemail in your mailbox ${VM_MAILBOX}:\n\n\tFrom:\t${VM_CALLERID}\n\tLength:\t${VM_DUR} seconds\n\tDate:\t${VM_DATE}\n\tMessage

There is a new voicemail in your mailbox 6910:

Length: 0:02 seconds
Date: Tuesday, May 02, 2017 at 01:38:58 PM
Message#: 3

Press the voicemail button on your phone to listen to this message or double-click
on the attachment to play the message on your computers speakers, if available.

This generic or primary voicemail to email message works as expected however its the forwarded message that is not being formatted correctly.

When you forward a voicemail from within the UCP the body of the email message is not being formatted correctly (see below).

Dear 7942-EPM2:nntjust wanted to let you know you were just left a 3 long
message (number XXXXXXXX-0000000b)nin mailbox 107 from “7942-EPM” <103>,
on Wed Dec 7 05:18:53 PM UTC 2016, so you mightnwant to check it when you
get a chance. Thanks!nntttt–Asteriskn

Do you know which file the UCP is reading to create this email message?

Thanks!

Bumping to see if anyone can provide some insight on where to locate the Long Message or Forwarded Message email body text.

This has shown up again for a user today and I really need to get the verbiage cleaned up for voicemail notifications.

Here is the message the user received today.

-----Original Message-----
_From: The Asterisk PBX _
Sent: Thursday, August 24, 2017 10:13 AM
_To: Bob Smith _
Subject: Your Voicemail Notification

Dear Bob Smith:nntjust wanted to let you know you were just left a 54 long message (number 15555555555-0000aaab)nin mailbox 1234 from “SOME COMPANY" <15555555555>, on Mon Aug 7 08:12:21 PM UTC 2017, so you mightnwant to check it when you get a chance. Thanks!nntttt–Asteriskn

Does anyone know where this text can be edited either via the GUI or a CONF file?

Thanks!

Settings → Voicemail Admin

Thanks! But I am still on Version 12 and already know where to set the standard voicemail to email message body. I need to locate the Long Message and Forwarded Message body text.

Try editing

/etc/asterisk/vm_email.inc

Thanks @dicko but no dice (see below). I have a feeling that this message is part of the UCP mechanism as we are using it often here. Do you know where the UCP conf files are?

;!
;! Automatically generated configuration file
;! Filename: voicemail.conf (/etc/asterisk/vm_email.inc)
;! Generator: app_voicemail
;! Creation Date: Thu Aug 17 13:41:43 2017
;!
emailbody = ${VM_NAME},\n\nThere is a new voicemail in your mailbox ${VM_MAILBOX}:\n\n\tFrom:\t${VM_CALLERID}\n\tLength:\t${VM_DUR} seconds\n\tDate:\t${VM_DATE}\n\tMessage#:\t${VM_MSGNUM}\n\nPress the messages button on your phone to listen to this message or double-click \non the attachment to play the message on your computers speakers, if available.\n

It sounds like you need to change the source code for the voicemail app, which is in the /var/www/html/admin tree.

This is deep magic and fraught with peril. If you want to go down a less dangerous path, you might consider upgrading to 13 so that you can manage this a little more easily. If that isn’t an option for you (for whatever reason), you should be able to find the file using something like the following:

grep -l ‘Generator’ `find . -type f`

That should give you a list of the files with the word “Generator:” in them - from there, you can edit to your heart’s content. You won’t be able to update the Voicemail App again after that, but if you’re running on Version 12, staying current isn’t probably a priority for you anyway.

Thanks @cynjut. I think my previous post may have caused some confusion. In it I posted the current /etc/asterisk/vm_email.inc file contents to show that what I was looking for was not in that file. And as I would not be comfortable in editing any of the files in the /var/www directories I will leave them for the pros to manage!

V13 or 14 are on my road map but unfortunately not this year, just too many other items that need my attention before that one.

Do you happen to have V12 deployed where UCP is used? If so can you leave a voicemail for a user and then forward that voicemail from within the UCP to another user? This is one of the mechanisms that I am using that is causing the email notification that I am seeing. The other is if a long voicemail is left in a users mailbox.

I’ve never set up UCP on a Version 12 system. I reserve UCP for my Version 13 customers - it’s an obvious benefit to help them understand why upgrading to the new version is important (I have one customer on Asterisk 1.6 because they are so afraid of change). In fact, I don’t think I have a single V12 implementation out there right now: 1.6, 1.8, 11, and 13, but no 12s.

Now, one thing I do know can be done from voicemail is to connect to the message from the *97 interface and forward the message from there. This was the “standard” way to do that before UCP became popular. Perhaps using the stick of “forward voicemail from UCP” you can raise the priority of your current release version? It’s just a suggestion.

Thanks again @cynjut. I will continue to search for the file that contains this info but will also let end users know that it will be fixed in V13 to give me a buffer.

In V13 if you forward a message from one UCP user to another do you get a notification email? If so can you manage the body of the forwarded email separately from a standard voicemail notification email in the FreePBX Web UI?

Then issue you are going to have is 12 is not getting any features and only major crticial bugs. So weather this is a feature or bug to have it fixed you would need to go to 14.

Thanks @tonyclewis! I am hoping that this is neither a bug or feature request. The email message I am seeing is already being provided as a feature in V12 so I am assuming it has to buried in some conf file somewhere, just have not had any success in finding it…yet!

V13 or 14 are on my to do list and I am looking forward to enhancements, the team there has done a great job with them from what I have read so far.

In the interim, until I can upgrade, I am hoping that someone out there has come across this item and knows which file is used to configure this particular email body message.

Thanks!