VOICEMAIL 2.9.0.5 SYNC BETWEEN /var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/device and ../default

Running Asterisk Now on 1.6.2.20 and Freepbx 2.9+, when we create an extension in freepbx it creates a link in /var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/device but not in default. Manually putting the extension number in …/default fixes the voicemail box. Further, upon deleting an extension, it removes it from …/default but not the link in …/device?

ON a similar note, creating a system recording from the freepbx gui works on some browsers but not on others, we get the 1111-ivrrecording. -ivrrecording.wav unnumbered-ivrrecording files in /var/spool/asterisk/tmp as a result and an error stating that it can not find the extension ivrrecording. Is this all part of the same problem or what exactly is going on?

This is hold up creating and deploying our phone system and we have no clue as to how to fix this.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Steve

Hmmm… I had a similar problem in the FreePBX distro, but thought it was an artifact of a “Backup and Restore” that didn’t quite restore as well as I’d hoped. I created the missing mailboxes manually (well, actually copied them over from a backup of an older system that we were replacing) and didn’t give it any more thought, but maybe this is an actual bug. Can anyone else confirm or refute?

Definitely repeatable . Will submit bug report.

#5324: VOICEMAIL 2.9.0.5 SYNC BETWEEN /var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/device and …/default -----------------------------±---------------------------------------------Reporter: smhickel | Type: Bugs Status: new | Priority: major Milestone: 2.10 | Component: Voicemail Version: 2.9-branch | Keywords: creating voicemail box broken Confirmation: Unreviewed | Svn_rev: Engine: Asterisk 1.6 | Engine_version: 1.6.20 -----------------------------±---------------------------------------------VOICEMAIL 2.9.0.5 SYNC BETWEEN /var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/device and …/default

Posted August 13th, 2011 by smhickel (tadpole)

Running Asterisk Now on 1.6.2.20 and Freepbx 2.9+, when we create an extension in freepbx it creates a link in /var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/device but not in default. Manually putting the extension number in …/default fixes the voicemail box. Further, upon deleting an extension, it removes it from …/default but not the link in …/device?

ON a similar note, creating a system recording from the freepbx gui works on some browsers but not on others, we get the 1111-ivrrecording. -ivrrecording.wav unnumbered-ivrrecording files in /var/spool/asterisk/tmp as a result and an error stating that it can not find the extension ivrrecording. Is this all part of the same problem or what exactly is going on?

This is hold up creating and deploying our phone system and we have no clue as to how to fix this.

–Ticket URL: http://www.freepbx.org/trac/ticket/5324

Yes this is a strange one. I just spent about .5 hours on this again… I took an existing extension without voicemail. I enabled voicemail and then checked /var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/device and the ln was there. I checked …/default and it was not there. I created it manually and noted that it was set as root:root with 772. I set it to asterisk:asterisk and 775, like the rest of the mailboxes.

In deleting the mailbox, it removes it from default but leaves the ln (soft link).

What gives?

If you can replicate the problem then open a ticket in the bug tracker:

http://www.freepbx.org/trac/simpleticket

Be sure to provide the information from your first post (plus any other information you think may be helpful, within reason) because they probably will not have seen this thread.

I think (and this is from memory), once a person is leaving a voicemail the directory will be created in default directory.

We were getting voicemail errors when trying to set up mailbox the first time. That is is how we discovered that they were missing. when we added them, we could then create and use voicemail.

The reason we discovered this phenomena was that when we were testing setting up a voicemail box we dialed *97 and then called the voicemail number. It would let us login into it, but it gave an error and would not let us leave a voicemail to it and in trying to set up the voicemail box the first time it would not let us.

Now, I just created an extension with voicemail enabled, create an attachment but do NOT delete the voicemail. Oddly when I created the extension there was no entry in default for the extension, but when I called it the first time it created it.

Yet, I recall that the mailboxes for the the extensions we were having issues with were set up email attachments but were set up to DELETE the message.

I recall we were trying to fix an issue with unnumbered-ivrrecording. not having a .wav extension on the end. As part of that fix I added .wav at then end and also applied 1777 and asterisk:asterisk to the /var/spool/asterisk/tmp folder. For giggles, I did the following series of commands and now the problem for which I reported a bug has gone away. The act of calling voicemail now seems to work. So I can no longer duplicate the problem. So either line 970 fixed it or there was a fluke (issue) with the mailbox issues we were having that was only related to a few voicemail boxes. The issue was most certainly there, but now NOT?

cd voicemail/
963 ls -l
964 cd default/
965 ls -l
966 ls -l | less
967 cd …
968 chown -R asterisk:asterisk 1016
969 cd …
970 chown -R asterisk:asterisk voicemail/
971 cd voicemail/
972 ls -l | less
973 ls -l
974 cd default/
975 ls -l | less
976 chmod 777 1016
977 ls -l | less
978 chmod 775 1016
979 ls -l | less
980 cd …/device/
981 ls
982 rm 1015
983 ls
984 ls -ls
985 ls -ls | less
986 ls
987 cd …
988 ls
989 cd default/
990 ls -l
991 su asterisk
992 su asterisk
993 mkdir 1013
994 ls -l | less
995 chmod 775 1013
996 cd …
997 chown asterisk:asterisk /var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/1013
998 chown asterisk:asterisk /var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/default/1013/
999 ls
1000 cd /var/spool/asterisk//voicemail/
1001 cd default

It is like this:
When an extension in FreePBX is created (example, 2476), a link called 2476 is created in folder /var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/device pointing to a non-existent folder /var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/default/2476

This is normal and intentioned in FreePBX (and not a bug).

The first time you dial *97 from the phone with extension 2476 (this example) the folder /var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/default/2476 is created with subfolders (after passing on the correct password). That is done by the app_voicemail.so in Asterisk.

Update: And once a call reaches the vociemail for the extension (in this example, 2476) the folders are also correctly created.

You can’t dial into another mailbox with *97, for that you have to use *98, now providing mailbox number and correct mailbox password. Once that is done, the folders will be created.

You can’t access the voicemail from ARI before that, that won’t work.

I hope that this explanation will clarify any misunderstanding how Voicemail work in FreePBX when creating the mailbox.

If there is an error, test it again, but set verbose and debug in an Asterisk CLI to 5, dial in and try with *97 and *98, all errors (if any) will be in /var/log/asterisk/full log file.

… he remembers.

Probably be a few days.

Steve

I talked to my guy… He remembers (as do I) that the whole problem began when we tried to leave a voicemail onto an extension and it said that the mailbox was full and then said there was an “error.” When we tried to login to the mailbox, it let us login, but we could not setup messages and was very dysfunctional. That is when we created the /var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/default mailboxes and it no longer said that the mailbox was full and were were able to setup voicemail. So the behavior you describe as far as a functioning freepbx voicemail system only came to pass after we applied rights to the voicemail default folder per above. So, there was a glitch, perhaps unique to just this system we have or it is universal and warrants further investigation. The problem is that now it is no longer duplicating the problem, which appears to have been fixed by the above mentioned steps.

Steve