Voice mail dial tone stutter (MWI or message waiting indicator) won't go away

Greetings,

When I get a new voice mail, I pick up the phone and it has the message waiting indicator dial tone to tell me there is a new voice mail.

I checked it and deleted it.

I pick up the phone and I still here the MWI dial tone as if I had a new voice mail. I check again and I do not have any.

Any help here would be great!

Now we’re missing out on work because we miss these voicemails.

Any ideas??

add to /etc/voicemail.conf

under

[general]

pollmailboxes=yes
pollfrq=15

It should “normalize” your mwi indications ( after 15 seconds)

It’s a fixit it but seems to work for me.

(any clever gurus out there that know better , please elucidate)

Hmmm. I already had that in the vm_general.inc that was referenced in my voicemail.conf

Should I add it again?

again please. last guy standing wins

start with /etc/asterisk/voicemail.conf

I’m not to sure what you are asking for here so here is my voicemail.conf
[general]
#include vm_general.inc
#include vm_email.inc

[default]

10 => (password),(ExtensionName),attach=no|saycid=no|envelope=no|delete=no
20…

etc… Inside the vm_general.inc, there is…

; If using Asterisk 1.6 and ARI or other sources for mail, you should set pollmailboxes to
; yes and pollfreq if you want to change the default 30 sec polling
;
pollmailboxes=yes
pollfreq=15

I then added the
pollmailboxes=yes
pollfreq=15
to the voicemail.conf file under general so it looks like this…
[general]
#include vm_general.inc
#include vm_email.inc
pollmailboxes=yes
pollfreq=15

[default]

10 => (password),(ExtensionName),attach=no|saycid=no|envelope=no|delete=no
20…

but it made no difference.

I may be onto something though. please stand by.

Ok I have 10 extensions. If I leave a voice mail on anyone else’s extension, it will give the VMI, MWI, or whatever it is actually called.

There is just the one extension (extension 10) that does not get the fancy dial tone.

That extension’s voice mail is the resultant of an unanswered call coming in.

I have one ring group with 4 extensions.

IE:

Ring Group Extensions: 10,20,30,40

Destination if no answer: Voicemail - 10 (busy)

That extension happens to be the receptionists desk.

Kinda throws a wrench into the gears but there it is. Perhaps this would point us in the right direction.

Any ideas from here?

you look at the provisioning of extension 10

you don’t state that that is done by either by tftp or locally , that extension would need to be provisioned to get those “hints” , if 20 and 30 work then you FU’ed with 10

It should not be brain surgery, how does your extension 10 differ from 20 or 30, if they are the same hardware (or software) they WILL behave the same if you provision them reasonably and properly.

Time to get your feet wet maybe?

:wink:

If you’re running the bog standard distro then you should be using the FBX GUI for configurations in 99% of situations. Don’t edit the configuration files directly (unless you are adding something special or unique to the ‘_custom’ versions of these conf files). You risk getting the conf files overwritten by FBX and your system in a muddle otherwise.

Also the standard voicemail application should clear MWI automatically and instantly. You should really only need to set the pollmailboxes and polllfreq flags if you are using another method to access/clear your voicemail e.g. a visual voicemail XML application.

Judging by the fact that other extensions are working with MWI, it very much sounds like you have a underlying provisioning misconfiguration somewhere…

Provisioning? Do you have a starting point in mind? It seems there are no provisions for VMI or MWI, unless I am missing something.

Every extension was set up exactly the same as the others.

The only real difference between 10 and 20 is the phone itself and we swapped the phones but it still does not work.

It’s in extension 10 for sure. I just don’t know where to start to look.