Vitelity Blocks outgoing calls to Western Union

So, one of our users (who use their VOIP phone to our PBX from their home) was trying to call Western Union to a number that was published on their website during a web transaction, to request verbal confirmation of the in-process transaction.
They received a Busy signal, but it worked from their cellular phone, so I was tasked to find out why.

Researching in the logs, I got a decline (see below), so I tested through a second provider on a different pbx, and it worked just fine, and it also worked from my cell phone, so the issue was narrowed down to the Vitelity network.

I opened a ticket, and their response was "Western union is blocked on our network. Sorry for any inconvenience"
So I prodded for more information as to why, and I got:
“Western union is blocked due to high fraud rates.” and “The block will not be removed.”

I mean, I understand if they blocked outgoing calls using that caller id, to prevent fraud by their users, but when dialing outgoing?

Some details log details, just to help others possibly troubleshoot if this happens to them as well:
– Called vitel-lou-outbound/18779893268
– Got SIP response 603 “Declined” back from IP.ADDR.OF.VITELITY
– SIP/vitel-lou-outbound-b6f444e0 is busy

The #877-989-3268 is registered to: Western Union

Also, it appears they are blocking this # as well: 1-800-325-6000 (oddly, some of the other #'s for WU work…)

So, I am prompting for some responses from other users.
Opinions?
Is it even legal for a voip provider to block outgoing calls to destinations at their discretion?
Understand their reasoning? Like it? Dislike it?

Richard -
Its ridiculous. CallCentric pulls idiotic stunts like this also. I doubt there is legal recourse - have you read ALL the fine print in your users agreement? This would be my signal to depart this provider - unless you like someone else being in charge of who you can and cant call.

Before we start picking up the torches, let’s just consider why a company might want to block calls to certain 800 numbers. Although 800 number calls are free, some companies try to convert them into for-pay calls. That is of dubious legality but the problem is that most phone companies will happily pass through any charge they receive to the number billed. There have been cases of companies trying to slip small charges onto many customer bills, hoping that few would notice (or complain about) such a small amount, and the phone companies never even try to determine if the charges are really legit.

So let’s say you call an 800 number for a “free” 5-minute chat with your friendly phone psychic, or maybe an attractive sounding person of the opposite sex that you saw on late-night TV. If the company is legit, once the “free” period (which is basically an inducement for you to continue the call) is up they will ask you for billing information (e.g, a credit card). But apparently some companies are not above capturing the number you are calling from (which, perversely, is available to the called party on all 800 calls even if you try to block it with *67) and then simply billing that number for the excess time.

Of course when they try to do this with a VoIP company (especially a wholesaler) the VoIP provider almost always refuses to act as their billing agent. This can lead to accusations and counter-accusations and even threats of lawsuits, so at some point the VoIP provider or wholesaler may simply decide to eliminate the problem by not passing calls through to the numbers that give them problems.

I am NOT saying that Western Union does anything like that, but let us keep in mind that Western Union was a company that used to charge people BY THE WORD (and at an outrageous rate if you take inflation into account) to send a telegram. What would fifteen cents a word be in today’s money? So while I have no knowledge or even suspicions about what may have happened, I might be inclined to suspect that SOMETHING must have happened to cause the provider to block calls to their number.

If the reason is because allowing calls to that number was in some way either costing them money or giving them excessive aggravation, that’s one thing. If, however, it was because Western Union was offering a competitive service and they were blocking access to a competitor, that is quite another. The comment about “high fraud rates” would lead me to suspect something more like the former than the latter, but we just don’t know. I admit that their response to the original poster was far less than satisfying BUT let us keep in mind that they could possibly get into legal hot water if they were to start making specific accusations about Western Union to people outside their company. What they said may have been all they thought they dared say without rattling the cage of WU’s lawyers.

All of the above is just speculation and conjecture; I have NO inside knowledge and I am certainly NOT accusing Western Union of any specific act (other than stating my OPINION that “fifteen cents a word to read, a telegram I didn’t need” was outrageous, and probably a big reason the telephone gained such wide acceptance). But when a provider goes out of their way to block calls to specific numbers, I’d say that it’s safe to assume they didn’t just do it randomly - there must have been some reason.

Oh, and by the way, I believe there have even been cases where government agencies (like the FTC) have asked carriers to block calls to certain numbers for a time, though usually these are numbers that terminate outside the U.S. and are associated with schemes designed to part a fool and his money.

If you call that number can you setup a transfer of funds over the phone with Western Union? If so then that would be a valid reason for blocking calls in specially considering that Vitelity allows you to set the CID to be anything if I remember correctly. If that is the case I can see there being a very high abuse rate from Vitelity numbers into Western Union. If that is the case Western Union might have asked for it to be blocked and/or Vitelity got sick and tired of trying to track down it’s abusers in an attempt to bill them and just blocked the number.

I have not tested this,

But Gizmo5 if setup on your server offers free outbound calls to 800 numbers.

May want to see if this route would work.

I have tested calling the above numbers using Gizmo5 as an outbound route for toll free numbers and works just fine. *real account listed below, its just for dialing out -

1. Create a Trunk -

Dial Rules:

1800NXXXXXX
1822NXXXXXX
1833NXXXXXX
1844NXXXXXX
1855NXXXXXX
1866NXXXXXX
1877NXXXXXX
1888NXXXXXX
1101NXXXXXX
800NXXXXXX
822NXXXXXX
833NXXXXXX
844NXXXXXX
855NXXXXXX
866NXXXXXX
877NXXXXXX
888NXXXXXX
101NXXXXXX
0101+NXXNXXXXXX
0101NXXNXXXXXX
Trunk name: Gizmo5

Peer Details

disallow=all
allow=ulaw
auth=md5
authuser=freepbx
canreinvite=no
context=from-trunk
dtmfmode=auto
fromdomain=proxy01.sipphone.com
fromuser=freepbx
host=proxy01.sipphone.com
insecure=very
nat=yes
qualify=yes
secret=freepbx
type=peer
username=freepbx

17473947165:[email protected]

create outbound route.
**make this route above all other routes

Dial Rules:

1800NXXXXXX
1822NXXXXXX
1833NXXXXXX
1844NXXXXXX
1855NXXXXXX
1866NXXXXXX
1877NXXXXXX
1888NXXXXXX
1101NXXXXXX
800NXXXXXX
822NXXXXXX
833NXXXXXX
844NXXXXXX
855NXXXXXX
866NXXXXXX
877NXXXXXX
888NXXXXXX
101NXXXXXX
0101+NXXNXXXXXX
0101NXXNXXXXXX

Trunk - Gizmo5

Richard,

I would never do business with a company that acted this way. This is outrageous. They think they can dictate who I am allowed to call with my own phone? What next, I call to order a pizza and SIT-TONES…We’re sorry, we have detected that you have ordered 3 pizza’s this week. That is too much. Goodbye.

Or maybe they’ll start redirecting calls to businesses that they prefer, I can see that coming.

Seriously, these people need to be sued immediately. If I had a Vitelity account I would cancel immediately and contact my lawyer.

If we let companies get away with BLATANTLY ILLEGAL practices, we are rocketing towards 1984. And, if this practice IS legal, then the law needs to be updated.

How can it even be asked if this is OK?

800-555-TELL which is now owned by Microsoft, after the buyout they started blocking ENUM routed toll free calls. I also noticed that I could not connect via gizmoproject.com which may also use tollfreegateway.com or have their own relationship setup with their provider.