Using a softphone to connect a caller to a Zoom conference?

I’m looking for a way to allow a caller into my FreePBX to be connected as an audio source to a Zoom conference (i have the free version, which doesn’t allow call-in numbers). I use Sparkocam to control video and audio for Zoom.

I’ve tried a couple of softphone extensions (Zoiper and Microsip). Though I can configure them to use Sparkocam/Zoom for audio input, there does not seem to be a way to direct the audio output to Zoom.

Any ideas on how to accomplish this?

short answer?.. No.

if your Zoom doesnt allow dial-in, you likely can not dial in to your zoom.

if you have softphones already, that usually means internet-connected devices (laptop, phone), so why not just Join the zoom meet directly?

Perhaps Jitsi + jigasi (A SIP connector) is a self hosted solution that could work for you

Sorry, I guess I didn’t explain what I’m trying to do clearly.

I’m not trying to dial into Zoom. I want to be able to call another person and have them be able to hear and speak in a Zoom conference to which I’m connected. Only Zoom Pro (which carries a charge) allows people to call in via phone to a Zoom conference. I have Zoom Free which does not permit call-ins.

a few options for you…

1. pay them, to use their service as intended

2. throw a Speakerphone in the room with a laptop, which would sound… pretty bad. but WOULD bridge the air-gap.

3. maybe you can broadcast / share your softphone (or full desktop) into the meeting? that MIGHT allow one-way, or even perhaps two way audio.

4. why not just invite the remote party to the zoom itself? or are they somewhere with no internet and Only a phone?

5. dont use zoom. there is at least 1 service out there with “free” dial-in numbers, i would expect. even MS Teams…

You can connect to Zoom with OBS also

1. pay them, to use their service as intended – I am using their service as intended. I don’t want to pay for Pro for the few times I would need to call someone from within a Zoom meeting.

2. throw a Speakerphone in the room with a laptop, which would sound… pretty bad. but WOULD bridge the air-gap. That’s right, the sound is VERY bad. That’s why I’m looking for an alternative.

3. maybe you can broadcast / share your softphone (or full desktop) into the meeting? that MIGHT allow one-way, or even perhaps two way audio. a) that doesn’t really work, and b) the participants would no longer be able to see each other, with defeats the point of using Zoom. If I wanted an audio-only telephone conference, I’d do it entirely within FreePBX.

4. why not just invite the remote party to the zoom itself? or are they somewhere with no internet and Only a phone? That’s right, they are somewhere without access to an internet-connected phone or computer with a webcam.

5. dont use zoom. there is at least 1 service out there with “free” dial-in numbers, i would expect. even MS Teams. If I didn’t want to use Zoom, I’d have asked for recommendations for other services. I’m confined by what the other participants use, which is Zoom.

Thanks, dicko! This looks like it might work. I’ve downloaded the software and I’m playing with it now.

Use cross-connected virtual sound devices or buy two cheap USB sound cards and short mini jack cables (this would cost less than $10 total).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.