Use SIP client to initiate a callback

I am currently in the Dominican Republic with a local SIM card in my mobile, and my FreePBX box running back home in the UK.

I already have my old UK phone number diverted to my FreePBX box and transferring to my Dominican number for incoming calls, but I’m trying to work out a system for outgoing calls. My VOIP provider (like many others), does not have a Dominican PSTN number that I can assign to me account.

Mobile internet has pretty good coverage, but poor speed, reliability and latency here, so conducting a call over SIP/VOIP is not an option.

I’ve looked at an Android app called AnAMI which allows me to originate calls from the Aterisk box to my local number and then call my desired destination, This leaves me with a call over the GSM network which is stable and works well. However this Android app, whilst powerful, is clunky and inefficient to use.

Ideally, I’d like to be able to set up a feature code and call this from a sip client on my phone, and, in the same process, use the SIP client to forward my desired destination to the Asterisk box. The asterisk box would receive this instruction, hang-up and then call me back by making a VOIP call to the local GSM network and connect me with the destination I wanted to speak to.

For example, would it be possible for me to call 02070000000, by dialling the following on a SIP based Android client:
*55#02070000000

This feature can have my Dominican GSM mobile number hard coded, since it will be just one SIP extension (mine) which is making the calls to the *55 feature code.

I hope this makes sense! :slight_smile:

So like a callback with DISA?
You want to call from your cell to the pbx to use your UK number, correct?

Though I don’t feel comfortable posting an untested script to implement your custom feature, here are some simple alternatives that may work:

If your mobile plan allows unlimited or inexpensive domestic outgoing calls, just use Localphone. Once set up, you dial a unique Dominican number for each contact, which rings them directly. While Localphone’s rates are in general not the best, UK landline is only $0.009/min.; mobiles are $0.023. You get a 5-minute free trial at signup, so you can test without making a payment. For numbers not in your Contacts, it can function as a normal calling card.

You can use “regular” callback on FreePBX. Since the trigger call is unanswered, it can be an international number and your mobile operator shouldn’t charge you. If your mobile can’t call internationally, you can use Localphone to ring your PBX via iNum or SIP URI; if used only this way, you would not need to fund the Localphone account.

Localphone has an Android callback app that lets you dial from contacts, history, or keypad. The rate to Domincan mobile is a bit pricey at $0.087/min., but you can use an iNum to ring your FreePBX at no cost, which would then forward to your mobile via your existing provider.

Callcentric also has an Android callback app with similar features. It allows you to specify a SIP URI for either leg. On the inbound leg, you can specify an iNum or SIP URI, which would allow you to use an alternate provider or your own PBX. If you are willing to set up custom contacts, the outbound leg could also be a SIP URI.

With a SIP app that supports blind transfer, e.g. CSIpSimple, you can call your contact then transfer the call to your mobile, or vice-versa.

None of the above require a dedicated Domincan DID, but if you want one so your contacts there can reach you when you’re back in the UK, AnveoDirect and Voxbeam have them at competitive rates.

Thanks for your replies. I had to find out what DISA is and it seems that it could be handy, and in combination with a localphone number to get me in to my pbx this would allow me to dial pretty much any number.

I guess my main issue is that I don’t know the numbers of want to dial in my head (I often dial from my phone book or from a number in an email, so I thought it would be better to copy and paste the target number alongside the initial feature code call.

You could do an IVR. Press 1 for blabla press 2 for blabla. A type of “phone book”

I like that idea, but unfortunately I call a variety of people. I also liked the sip client idea because I could set it as the default dialing app and therefore intercept all requests to make a call and route the request via some sort of custom application to call me back

There are many “calling card” apps for Android. For example, see https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.netspectrum.ccpal&hl=en . With this app, when you call an international number, whether by keypad, contacts or history, the app intercepts the call and first calls a preconfigured access number (as a normal cellular voice call). When the access number answers, it sends (as DTMF) an optional PIN, the destination number, and a #. You can use this with any calling card service, or you can make your own using the FreePBX DISA feature. You set up Localphone so a call from your mobile to their DO access number will connect to an iNum, which in turn rings into your PBX. The Inbound Route sends calls from your mobile to DISA, which accepts the destination number and completes the call. You can set up the PBX to send your UK or other desired caller ID. This method is most practical if your mobile plan allows domestic outbound calling at little or no cost.

For a callback solution, use a SIP app to call your own mobile. This could be set up as a favorite, or a ring group with a single digit code, e.g. dialing 2 would ring the mobile. With the app still up, answer the mobile call and return to the app. Transfer the VoIP call to your destination (keyed, pasted, or selected from contacts). The SIP app closes and you talk normally on the cellular call.

If you are in DR get a flota or a calling plan from Claro that allow free call between the number. Use one of the SIM card with a cell gateway. Use the a sip lie to to call the number to UK(since you have a UK DID). After dialing the UK number transfer the call to your mobile number (Claro to Claro free of charge and crystal clear call). If the call come from UK them it is transferee to your mobile number without charge.