Upgrading to 2.10 from 2.9 says to upgrade asterisk - how?

When I select the 2.10 upgrade tool is says I should upgrade asterisk to 1.8, but I don’t know how to do that.

“…upgrade to Asterisk 1.8. You are running Asterisk 1.4.40.1”

I am on:
Base: 2.9.0
Framework: 2.9.0.12
Core: 2.9.0.5

I did search for an answer, but none that I could find addressed this issue. Will that happen automagically when I upgrade to 2.10?

TIA for any help

Yaakov

That would depend on how you installed the original system. To go forward you will need to update to Asterisk 1.8 either from source or from your installation whatever that is.

It’s been so long since I did the original install, I can’t recall exactly how I did it, but I’m pretty sure it was from a package of sorts - maybe even a complete machine install.

I don’t believe I have sources on the system.

Is there a way to tell?

Not really you will have to do that work all on your own.

but

asterisk -V

and

uname -a

might give us a clue

Asterisk 1.4.40.1 (same as I mentioned in the first post)

Linux asterisk-server 2.6.18-92.1.13.el5 #1 SMP Wed Sep 24 19:33:52 EDT 2008 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

WOW - it is old!

Is there a particular reason you want to upgrade? Why break it if it works?

I don’t have a specific need right now, but I see I am falling behind in the releases, so I thought it best to upgrade at this time. In further searching thru the web, I did find one post that speaks about using “yum” to remove asterisk, and install asterisk18, but I don’t know if that will preserve existing config files.

see http://blog.shortbus.net/2011/04/migrating-from-asterisk-14-to-18-with.html

I’ve posted that question there, but not seen my post or an answer yet.

Meanwhile, I was hoping FreePBX upgrades would address that; hence my question here in the first place.