Upgrading System

Hi, my boss has tasked me with researching hardware to upgrade our PBX. We currently have 5 trunks and approximately 18 phone lines. He would prefer to go with a system with no moving parts in order to increase our reliability. I have looked at the following system:

The Habey EPC-6566

• 19” 1U rackmount enclosure
  • Intel Dual Core Atom D525 1.8GHz processor
  • Two Gigabit Ethernet and six on-board serial ports
  • Two 2.5” HDD/SSD plus one slim optical drive bay
  • Two mini-PCIe slot and one PCI slot for expansion
  • Front accessible USB ports and rear expansion slot

Intel 320 Series 160 GB SATA 3.0 SSD
Crucial CT25664BC1067 2GB 204-PIN PC3-8500 SODIMM DDR3 RAM

Will this be sufficient for our system? We are backing up our data to our server. Does anybody have any other suggestions for hardware with no moving parts?

I’m pretty new to all of this and I appreciate any help that you can give me on determining our hardware requirements.

Thanks,

Justin

SSDs? Yeah! You’ll be fine. We ran a virtual server with one core (it was a Xeon though, with a little more umph), full SIP (no analog), with call recording (some lines)… 20-30 concurrent calls all the time.

The thing was never burdened, this was two years ago, and on platter based HDDs (and other VMs on it).

And this was Elastix, not FreePBX, so it was bloated.

I’d argue you could save money and even go with platter based hard drives, depends on if you’re expecting to grow and how long you want this to last, also lots of buffer writes for call recording (if you use it) is going to chew through your SSDs.

Thanks. We are actually more concerned about having a reliable phone system. One of our fans stopped and our hard drive ended up failing for our previous system. We’re trying to mitigate any future problems by going with a system with no moving parts.

Justin

Solid state components can fail too (arguably, SSDs fail faster on high workloads), just make sure you have backups and a plan for response to failure (in the case of hard drives, RAID), if you have a lot of extra money, a spare you can fail over to (or even a cheap one, better degraded than not at all).

It really all depends on a realistic look on: how much downtime you can survive with, and how much money you’re willing to spend.