Upgrading FreePBX to 2.6 - Question about Asterisk upgrade

Currently running:

FreePBX Base Version: 2.5.2
FreePBX Framework Version: 2.5.2.2
FreePBX Core Version: 2.5.2.1
Asterisk Version: 1.4.25.1

I want to upgrade to FreePBX 2.6 and Asterisk 1.6 or 1.6.1, not sure which yet. Right now we have about 13 SIP phones and use Bandwidth.com as our provider. We also have incoming Fax over IP that sends out the fax in an email.

First off, which version of Asterisk is supported by FreePBX? I don’t want to upgrade Asterisk only to find out that they deprecated some commands that FreePBX requires. Secondly, I have been reading something about faxing not working properly with Asterisk 1.6, or at least being difficult to setup. Will I need to do anything in order to have it up and running? We have a POTS fax line as well as a backup in case things go bad.

The reason for the upgrade is that we get some delays when answering a call from someone on a cell phone (usually 1-3 seconds before they hear us answer) and also a delay when speaking with them, as if we are on a satellite phone or over seas. We notice the delay when picking up the call and they notice the delay when talking.

Also, we’ve had random crashes with Asterisk. The system would completely freeze or lock Asterisk up, this has only happened twice. When I was looking for the cause of the issue, I couldn’t find anything wrong with the system itself or the hardware and it seems that only Asterisk was affected.

Thanks.

Can I get an answer or a point in the right direction?

Thanks.

FreePBX 2.6.x works with Asterisk 1.6.x
Asterisk 1.4 uses Zaptel and 1.6 uses DAHDI. Search this forum for changes between these as this have been asked and answered multiple times.

Fax for Asterisk 1.6: http://www.freepbx.org/forum/freepbx/tips-and-tricks/freepbx-2-6-nvfax-detection-asterisk-1-6-1-6-and-digium-fax-working

As for the delay or crash, as we don’t know your setup we can’t answer that question or if upgrading will solve your issues.

I believe I already converted all Zaptel stuff to Dahdi. We have a hardwired fax line going directly to a fax machine, but we also have an older fax number that some clients still use. They couldn’t port it over to this area because it’s a different branch, so we have it directed to the PBX. Currently, the PBX receives the fax through the ‘system’ option in FreePBX and emails it out. I’m just looking to keep it the same when I upgrade, which appears to be the case.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.