Upgrade to 2.9.0rc1.5 Caused Symlink Error

I just moved (defected?) from TrixBox yesterday. Loaded AsteriskNow 1.7.1, and then pushed through all the upgrades to arrive at FreePBX 2.9.0rc1.5.

I did NOT change/upgrade any part of Asterisk itself. As a former TrixBox, I’ll have to go explore THAT part next. This means I am on Asterisk 1.6.2.11, what shipped with AsteriskNow 1.7.1.

Up until the upgrade to 2.9.0rc1.5 (ie, 2.8.x), everything was sweet - but as soon as the 2.9 update finished, I have this in the FreePBX Notices area:

Error Symlink from modules failed
retrieve_conf failed to sym link:
/etc/asterisk/chan_dahdi.conf from dahdiconfig/etc
This can result in FATAL failures to your PBX. If the target file exists and not identical, the symlink will not occur and you should rename the target file to allow the automatic sym link to occur and remove this error, unless this is an intentional customization.
Added 6 minutes ago
(retrieve_conf.SYMLINK)

NOTE that I am using a TDM400P card to connect an FXO connection in from a Vonage/Linksys box, so I do have a dahdi/Zap connection.

I’m not quite sure what I should be doing to correct the issue, and have not done any ‘non-FreePBX’ amends to any Asterisk config files. It strikes me as possibly a bug in the upgrade process? What step(s) should I take at this point?

Thanks! And I’m glad to be making the move!

It’s about as far from being trixbox-y as you can get.

The only similarity being that we use RPMs.

We will provide Asterisk upgrades as well as critical patches applied to the asterisk RPMs as needed. There is no plans to have to re-install the ISO to do upgrades.

Bottom line, the Distro is part of the FreePBX project and as such, is being engineered and all decisions are holistic to FreePBX. That is VERY VERY different from trixbox, which has always been simply a tool to generate web traffic to drive people and try to convert them to various Fonality projects, and as such, has had no investments put into the project in years and in fact recently their founder was let go thus the ‘lights are out’ over there…

Renaming the /etc/asterisk/chan_dahdi.conf did the trick. I then ‘touched’ DADHi and did the ‘orange apply’ and it was done.

I will have to read more about the Distro of FreePBX – sounds mighty TrixBox-y. I’m not sure if that is a good thing or not considering what is happening (or actually, NOT happening) over there. I actually pulled it down, but flipped out when I saw it was less than 20MB and assumed it was a defect, and went directly to AsteriskNow. Reading now, I can see that the ISO is just a ‘hook’ to the actual install, done via the web.

The question I have - once I load the FreePBX Distro, will it manage my Asterisk upgrades as well, or will it be a continual ‘ISO and start over again’ as with TrixBox of old?? I guess I could just go RTFM, but since you brought it up! :wink:

AsteriskNOW has several issues on how it installs things although that may be separate from your problem with the symlinks of chan_dahdi.conf.

If you’ve just started all this, you would probably be much better off going back and loading the FreePBX Distro which cleans up most issues.

The problem with chand_dahdi.conf is most likely that you have your own file properly configured but the Digium DAHDi module is trying to symlink their base version of that so you can configure through their module, which has been reported by many as problematic/broken.

That leaves you two options to deal with your problem. The first, uninstall the DAHDi module if you TDM setup is working properly with you chan_dahdi.conf as you don’t need it and then the error will go away. The second option is to remove you chan_dahdi.conf file and then try and use the Digium module to re-configure you DAHDi setup. If you do that, I would suggest saving off you current configuration files so that if you experience proves bad, you can go back to option 1.