Upgrade general question and advice

I have a customer running FreePBX v5.211.65-3. This system has been upgraded from version 3.x (sorry do not remember the exact version of 3, but I think it was the latest prior to 4.x). The system has a Sangoma B600DE with three POTS for incoming, and all outbound going over a SIP trunk. We are moving the system to all SIP trunks after a number port.

The system has been running fine, few little issues like some phones not ringing even though they are part of the ring group, but for the most part things have been pretty stable. The other day we lost incoming calls, getting a “all circuits are busy”, rebooted the system and the reapplied the settings and it came back online. Had me a little nervous however…

Logs show some small errors below:
[2014-Mar-02 17:06:06] [ERROR] (bin/retrieve_conf:185) - /var/lib/asterisk/agi-bin/calllimit failed to copy from module directory
[2014-Mar-02 17:06:06] [ERROR] (bin/retrieve_conf:185) - /var/lib/asterisk/agi-bin/enc failed to copy from module directory
[2014-Mar-02 17:06:06] [ERROR] (bin/retrieve_conf:185) - /var/lib/asterisk/agi-bin/areminder failed to copy from module directory

Now finally my question, sorry… :slight_smile:

Is it a good practice to, if you have the resources such as identical (or similar) hardware to do a full install with the latest version, backup the config, and restore to the new system, or run the upgrades? Also how often do you (the experts) upgrade the modules? They seem to come out pretty fast… is it a “if you need them” or more a “scheduled thing”?

Im trying to get my head around best practices for the best yet easiest support.

All feed back welcome! :slight_smile:

thanks!

Brian