Upgrade downgrade nightmare

I have decided to move away from Trixbox to PBX in a Flash as helpfully suggested by the users of this forum.

Unfortunately, I was using Trixbox 2.2.0, which includes FreePBX 2.2.0 rc3.

The Trixbox 2.2.0 ISO seems to no longer exist for download, and my current version broke quite badly. I had a backup of FreePBX, and used it to restore into Trixbox 2.2.12 which is the closest thing I could find (at first). This of course caused some issues as FreePBX 2.3.1 comes with that distro, and I was restoring a backup into the wrong version. I did not really have a choice in that matter…

I managed to get everything working in a half-assed manner, although FreePBX is understandably unhappy, it is displaying the old template, and states that it is version 2.2.0 rc3 when it is really 2.3.1 under the hood.

What I really need to do is to install a version of Trixbox (or any distro) that has the same version of Free PBX, then download the new version of FreePBX and upgrade it to the same version as in PBX in a Flash. Once I have accomplished this, I will backup FreePBX, and then migrate my settings to a totally new “PBX in a Flash” install.

My only obstacle at the moment is finding something that uses FreePBX 2.2.0 rc3. Trixbox 2.0 seems to conform to this, although it got very unhappy at my attempts to upgrade FreePBX, and the restore of my backup did not go smoothly either.

What versions/distros can I use to accomplish this? Is there a better way of going about this?

None of what you are trying to do is impossible. Let me ask you one question, how many extensions and trunks are you needing to recreate?

Are there many complex IVR’s that need to be migrated?

Often it is just sounds that need to be moved and this is much simpler that the contortions you are going through.

I have taken trixbox’s from 2.2, moved them up to Asterisk 1.4 and FreePBX 2.5 and untrix’ed the box completely. If you are familiar with Linux, MySQL and FreePBX it’s not that hard.

fyi: all most all older trixbox iso’s still exist you just need to know where to look. When you click on download the current ISO for trixbox notice that it is using sourceforge.net. If you go there you can find almost every ISO issues except for some of the seriously screwed up ones like 2.2.5, 2.2.6 and 2.2.7.

DAMN I stand corrected. Somebody cleaned up the ISO’s to only provide the last GOOD copy of 2.2.x which is the .12. The end URL do select that download is http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=123387&package_id=192286 and you’ll want this URL.

Ok Second place to look and I know they exist here as I just checked… Welcome to http://www.archive.org learn to love it.

Go to the waybackmachine (yes that is it’s name) and enter the URL above for it to search for and wait yes it is slow but I promise it’s worth it… It will comeback with a table of dates that it archived changes against… Select the Oct 18, 2007 date (the 2008 dates don’t seem to have everything it looks like{style sheets missing among many other things}) and wait again…

You will be presented with a page that looks like the sourceforge.net page, open the trixbox 2.2 branch and look, there is the 2.2.1 and 2.2.0 ISO’s that you can download. I’d personally use the 2.2.1 ISO.

good luck.

SkykingOH: I have about 30 extensions, so it is not a huge installation. Only 1 IVR, and 9 SIP trunks.

I am familiar with LAMP, but not FreePBX so much. My goal is to get the machine into a state where I can start running the FreePBX Upgrades, bring it to 2.5, then back it up for import into PBX in a Flash.

I have tried building some VM’s in my ESX box, trouble is they don’t accurately represent my Asterisk box as it has a Digium A101 card in it. Thus restoring MySQL to that image causes the system to start looking for Zaptel configurations that are not there. So, it looks like I will have to do this all on the “real” hardware.

fskrotzki: Great links! Thanks! Hopefully I should be able to build my way out of this with a number of upgrades.

Do you know if it is possible to go straight from 2.2.0 rc3 to 2.5.1, or do I have to step through all major versions first? (I ask because I can’t find any documentation on covering this many versions at once.)

Yes you can go straight from 2.2 to 2.5. You’ll have to follow the download and upgrade procedure at http://freepbx.org/support/documentation/installation/upgrading-your-system.

If you wanted to do it in steps: There was not a web automated way to upgrade from 2.2 to 2.3, there is one from 2.3 to 2.4 and another for 2.4 to 2.5. But since you’ll need to do the manual process to go from 2.2 to 2.3 I’d just go 2.2 to 2.5 and be done with it.