Update script fails distro 6 to 7

I am in the process of attempting to upgrade my FreePBX 10.13.66 system to SNG7. I installed what is listed as the current upgrade RPM in the Wiki (https://wiki.freepbx.org/display/PPS/Upgrading+from+FreePBX+10.13.66+to+SNG7).

“yum -y install http://package1.sangoma.net/distro-upgrade-1712-5.sng7.noarch.rpm

And then started the upgrade: “distro-upgrade”

It makes it past the reboot, but then gets stuck at “######### Repairing areminder #########”. The last entry in “post_sngupdate” is “Running fwconsole ma downloadinstall areminder”.

I found an Issue that had been closed that was referencing this for a previous version of the upgrade script, but said that it had been fixed. https://issues.freepbx.org/browse/FREEPBX-16220

I tried running the script to repair from a failed upgrade, but it is getting stuck at the same step.

Any help would be appreciated; I would prefer not to have to roll back!

I chased a few things that eventually got my system up and running but still didn’t allow the upgrade script to complete, and so left my system in a state that seemed inconsistent and potentially prone to future breakage, I finally happened upon what appears to be the real solution.

I had a bunch of installed but disabled modules. The script claims it is making note of what is disabled and then re-enabling all modules. Unfortunately, in my case, there was only one module that it actually re-enabled. I’m not sure why that portion of the script failed for me. The command it ran was “fwconsole ma enableall”, but it only enabled the “sms” module; I had many more that were disabled, including “areminder”, where the script was hanging.

When I was poking around trying to fix things in my half working system, I noticed that when I manually ran the last command listed in the log, “fwconsole ma downloadinstall areminder”, I was being prompted that the module was disabled, and asked what I wanted to do about it. My hunch was that the script didn’t know how to deal with this prompt because the intention was that all modules were enabled by the time it reached that part of the script. I tried enabling the “areminder” module, and bingo, the script made it past “areminder” on my next attempted run. It hung on the next one, however.

Ultimately, manually re-enabling all of disabled modules allowed the script to finish and trigger the final system reboot. There was still some initial weirdness with the CLI reporting an alert message that a bunch of modules were disabled even when the GUI did not (and the fwconsole command didn’t appear to enable any when run); ultimately that all seemed to figure itself out in the end, however.

I think all is good now…

1 Like

Related ticket https://issues.freepbx.org/browse/FREEPBX-16220 - Seems valid, and I’m looking at it today.


Disabled modules causing problems during the upgrade is a several months old bug which was supposed to be fixed…

I had it when I ran the first publicly available upgrade script several months ago…

In my case I was able to reply to the question it was prompți for (but could not actually see) by pressing Enter for each module if I recall correctly…

I would have to dig up the comment I had made about this in the ticket I opened back then…

Good luck and have a nice day!


Sigh. I can’t duplicate it. I’m still looking though, but I may have to GUESS at what the problem is (which I hate doing), rather than being able to confirm what it is 8-\

I’ll update the ticket when I get to a solution.

Edit: Hah! As soon as I say ‘I can’t figure this out’, I figured it out. Fix upcoming.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.